[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Oct. 11 & 12 (Thurs & Fri.)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Oct 12 14:11:04 PDT 2017

Announcements are put together in the BHS Main Office by Felicia Phillips feliciaphillips at berkeley.net<mailto:feliciaphillips at berkeley.net>

Here are the morning announcements for Wednesday, October 11 and Thursday, October 12.

Statement from the BHS Administrative Team About Air Quality Concerns
We want to offer some guidance to students and staff today as air quality in our area continues to be affected by the North Bay fires. There are Spare the Air alerts today and tomorrow. We encourage students and staff to eat indoors during lunch today, whether on or off campus. Students and staff who are sensitive to unhealthy air are advised to limit their time outdoors, particularly in the afternoon hours. Students who are experiencing symptoms should visit the Health Center, but the Health Center is unable to distribute masks at this time. Any decisions about school closings will be made at the District level, and students and families will be notified through a variety of communications channels.

PSAT
Students who registered to take the PSAT this Saturday, Oct. 14, must report to the Campus Green by 8 a.m. Room assignments will be posted on the C building doors facing the Green. Most rooms will be alphabetical groups, but students with accommodations approved by College Board should look for special room assignments. All students must bring a photo ID, several number 2 pencils with good erasers and a calculator for the math section on which a calculator is allowed. There is one scheduled break during which students may eat a modest snack in the hallway.

Cell phones are not allowed at any time including the break. If phones are seen or make noise, the phone will be confiscated pending an investigation, and the student will be dismissed and the test not scored. The test should end around noon.

Saturday School
The next Saturday School will be held this Saturday, October 14, 2017 from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 in room M-301. Attending this Saturday School will clear up to 6 unverified period absences from September. Students who wish to attend Saturday School must sign up in the Attendance Office before school, during lunch or after school. We can only take up to 30 students per Saturday School session.

Video Interview Project
After the social media incident two weeks ago, we, the members of BIHS Leadership, have been working to produce a video recording the responses of students across all of Berkeley High School to this offensive and upsetting event. We hope that this video can serve as a reminder and teaching tool to the Berkeley High School community in future years that racist, hateful, and divisive social media posts and speech hurt us all; we are making this video to help ensure that this event will not be forgotten, and that it will not be repeated.

For this video, we want to hear your truth—your feelings, your responses to this event, and your hopes for the future. We will be recording responses in room C105 this Thursday and Friday afternoons (10/12-10/13), starting at 3:45 pm. Any student is welcome, whether you were affected by this event directly or indirectly. If you have a response you would like to share, please come to speak anytime after 3:45. We will likely be there until about 6pm.  If you would like to take a stand against hateful speech and let your voice be heard, please join us. Thank you, from the BIHS student leadership team.

Unity Week 2017
Unity Week 2017 is a great chance to celebrate and creatively display our school pride for BHS. Unity Week celebrates the passion, purpose & pride of our big red & gold family. It kicks off this Friday, October 13, with the Show of Unity, a whole-school assembly in the Berkeley Community Theater. There will be a special bell schedule on Friday, with an early lunch at 11:00, so that we can all gather together for the Show of Unity during 6th period.

To get into the unifying spirit on Friday, wear anything that has BHS or Berkeley High School on it, aka “Jacket Gear”. Need some Jacket gear? Visit the Leadership Office, near the Food Court, to purchase a Spirit Pack for $25. The Spirit Pack includes a BHS T-shirt, sunglasses, a bag and a lanyard.

And here are the themes for the Unity Week dress-up days:

·         Monday, October 16: Pajama Day

·         Tuesday, October 17: Superhero Day

·         Wednesday, October 18: West Coast Day

·         Thursday, October 19: Decades Day (Freshman – 1960’s, Sophomore – 1970’s, Junior – 1980’s, Senior – 1990’s/2000’s)

·         Friday, October 20: Red and Gold Day
Remember: please make sure to keep your clothing school-appropriate on the dress-up days. Keep the lingerie or boxer short-style sleepwear in the closet. No masks can be worn on campus, and keep any weapon-like items at home. No swimwear. Cover parts of your body that are normally covered at school.

Morning Sports Report
In sports action yesterday, the girls varsity tennis team defeated San Leandro High School, the girls varsity volleyball team lost at home to Bishop O’Dowd, and the boys varsity water polo team fell to Alameda High School.

Student Club Spotlight

Calling all chess players and wannabe chess players!!! The Berkeley High School Chess Club meets every Thursday after school from 3:30 to 4:45 in room M-110. There will be free instruction, cookies to munch on, and players of every level are welcome. Staff, you are welcome too! Chess is like mental karate and a great way to unwind with a chill and friendly group of people. See you Thursday after school, and Go Jacket Chess!

The National Society of Black Engineers Jr. chapter meets Wednesday at lunch in room G-203. Pizza will be provided. Interested students should come to the meeting or see Mr. Byndloss dwaynebyndloss at berkeley.net<mailto:dwaynebyndloss at berkeley.net> in the Counseling Center for more information.

Do you need help in addressing a problem in one of your classes? The BHS Advocacy Club is here to help! This brand new club is available as a resource to students AND teachers, meant to bridge the gap between the two and improve school culture by starting in the classrooms. We can help you with many different solution methods, catering to your specific needs and situation. If you want to learn more or get involved, come to a lunchtime info session this Wednesday, October 11th in H215 or any future Wednesday in the same room.

Introducing theTalented Tenth! Today after school, at 3:40, the Talented Tenth will hold its first meeting in room D-220. All students who signed up during the Club Fair are welcome to attend. There will be food and beverages. The organization looks forward to creating leaders out of the young Black men of Berkeley High.

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Jenny Fosket, and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2017-2018 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe. The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/