[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Post On Social Media

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Dec 9 12:08:14 PST 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Principal Pasarow sampasarow at berkeley.net<mailto:sampasarow at berkeley.net>

BHS Community:

As some of you are aware, there was a post on social media last night that has caused concern among some of our students and families about safety on campus at Berkeley High. The post mentions that they have a family member who would not be attending school out of fears for her safety.

In speaking with the Berkeley Police Department (BPD), we do not believe the social media post has to do with an actual threat of violence against our school, but instead is based on a misinterpretation of previous communications that BUSD sent out to families about our plans for the day, which mentioned the racist message found on campus on November 4 which made reference to December 9 as a day of potential violence against black students. As we have said before, that original incident was investigated and there was found to be no credible threat to student or staff safety. The post last night also contains misinformation about our permission slip policy - the permission slip was for students to attend a special "Sankofa" assembly on campus, not to attend school or stay home from school.

The BSU Sankofa Assembly today has been well-attended, and I have been seeing students deeply engaged in our academic classes today, with lesson plans that are stimulating thoughtful discussions.

I do want to repeat that we are very serious about safety on this day and all days, so we are working with BPD to investigate the post so that we can determine the source of what appears to be misinformation or rumor. In addition, it's important for you all to know that we have heightened security on our campus today. We have two additional BPD School Resource Officers, in addition to the one already assigned, real-time coordination with Berkeley Police Department Patrols and Motorcycle/Bicycle Officers throughout the day, four extra BUSD Safety Officers, six parent volunteers to usher students into the Sankofa Assembly in the theater, and fifty parent volunteers for the Unity Assembly and to provide increased vigilance on the school perimeter throughout the day. We are grateful for this wide community support.

If you would like to know more about plans for "Take Back the Day" on December 9, there is further information, including links to some of the videos students will be seeing as part of their classes today, on the BUSD Website<http://www.berkeleyschools.net/2015/12/09/berkeley-high-take-back-the-day-december-9th-overview/>.

Thank you.

Sam Pasarow
Principal

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/