[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Nominate Yourself for SSC or BSEP Committees!

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Sep 9 17:39:06 PDT 2014

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Lisa Sibony,
lisasibony at berkeley.net <mailto:lisasibony at berkeley.net>

September is a great time to think about new ways to be involved in our
school community. September is also the month for parent elections for
*School Site Council (SSC) *and the *BSEP Site Committee!*

We hope you will consider nominating yourself for one of these important
school-wide committees. We need a diverse group of parents/guardians
from across our community to support decision-making at our school. You
can nominate yourself using the links below. Please do so no later than
the end of the school day, Friday, September 12. If you have questions
about the committees, please contact BSEP Director,
natashabeery at berkeley.net <mailto:natashabeery at berkeley.net>

*What is the School Site Committee (SSC)*? The SSC is where parents have
a direct voice in reviewing the school's academic goals and evaluating
how well those goals are being met. The SSC also has a voice in
approving the school's Safety Plan, the ELAC committee's plan for
teaching English-language learners, and the BSEP committee's plan for
spending the school's site funds. The SSC  is composed of the Principal,
a classified staff member, 6 teachers or counselors, 4 students, 4
parents, and alternates. Meetings are on the first and third Tuesdays
each month from 4:15-6:00 pm.

Use this link to nominate yourself for the Berkeley High SSC
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1nQsWln8mjpiPke4tEWawAcHsZQcEA0UPpPhrvldxbFI/viewform?usp=send_form>.

*What is the BSEP Site Committee? *BSEP (Berkeley Schools Excellence
Program) is a parcel tax responsible for about 20% of the
Berkeley Unified School District's budget. 10% of those funds are
allocated to each school site for activities which improve student
performance. At Berkeley High the site committee allocates about
$700,000 annually, evaluating currently funded programs, soliciting new
applications, and prioritizing needs. The BSEP Site Committee has five
parent representatives and two alternates. The committee typically meets
one Monday afternoon per month from 4:30-6:00 pm in the fall, with one
or two meetings per month in the spring.

Use this link to nominate yourself for BSEP Site Committee
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JtMSr9cAbQv6nQNPU7kwVzNRG9dYI7V3Tz57d13SZP4/viewform?usp=send_form>.

IMPORTANT DATES:

September 18   Voting begins (online and in person at Back to School Night)

September 25   Voting ends
October       6   First meeting of BSEP Committee (this is the tentative
date)
October       7   First meeting of SSC

October    21   Training for all BUSD Parent Committee members
  (6:00-8:00 pm)

/In addition to the two elected committees above, there are two
additional opportunities to consider for serving your community:
/

//

*BSEP Planning and Oversight (P&O) Committee. *This district-wide
committee reviews all of the plans and budgets for over $24 million
dollars allocated by the BSEP parcel tax measure to our schools. These
funds provide for nearly 1/3 of our classroom teachers, for all of our
4th-8th grade music, all school libraries, as well as technology,
translation, professional development, parent engagement programs, and
more. If you wish to be one of four representatives or two alternates
from Berkeley High to serve on this committee, you need to be appointed
by the newly elected BSEP Site Committee at their first meeting in
October. Please contact BSEP Director Natasha Beery at
natashabeery at berkeley.net <mailto:natashabeery at berkeley.net> if you are
interested or have questions.

*Berkeley High Safety Committee. * This volunteer group includes the
Dean of Students, classified staff members, teachers and counselors,
students, and parents. The Safety Committee is where parents have a
direct voice in reviewing the school's safety, discipline, and school
culture goals and plans, revising its goals, and evaluating how
well those goals are being met. It is not necessary to be elected in
order to serve on the safety committee. Please contact Rolf Bell at
bellcohen94 at yahoo.com <mailto:bellcohen94 at yahoo.com> to learn more.

--

Lisa Sibony

Outreach and Volunteers