[BHS Etree] LEADERSHIP: Month of Service

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Feb 28 18:09:56 PST 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact John Villavicencio
johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

Berkeley High School Community,

In celebration of the efforts of Cesar Chavez & other great examples of
community leaders, we will celebrate March as a Month of Service.

This month is dedicated to improving our school as well as raising our
awareness of issues affecting our friends in our community & the world. We
will host after-school service events and a Service Fair to allow an
opportunity for students to become active participants in their community.
Below is a calendar of events. Please visit the leadership office and find
the sign-up sheets in the green volunteer folder.

Service Fair on Campus Green

Friday March 8 from 9:30 am to 12: 20 pm.

Student Clubs and community organizations welcome teachers and students to
learn about great causes. Find out how to get involved with an issue you
really care about.

Organizations attending Service Fair:

Coro Center for Civic Leadership, Berkeley Disease Prevention program,
Teenage Drug Abuse program, Blue Bridge Project, Youth Radio, Berkeley Youth
Alternatives, MLK Jr. Service Center, YMCA Teen Programs, BUILD Literacy
Tutoring, La Casa de las Madres, Farm Fresh Choice & student clubs.

Letter Writing Campaign Leadership Office

Thursday March 14 at 3:30 pm

Sign up to write a series of letters to politicians about a wide range of
issues. We will either address causes in Amnesty International's "Write for
Right"Tcampaign or write about local issues.

PB&J Delivery Leadership Office

Thursday March 21 3:30 pm

We will make and deliver peanut butter & jelly sandwiches to people on the
streets of Berkeley. We hope to show compassion for people that we often
overlook and maybe make some new friends.

Youth Leadership Conference at Young Adult Project 1730 Oregon Street

Saturday March 23 from 8:30 am to 3:30pm (Limited to 35 students)

This free conference will provide youth with an opportunity to meet new
people and gain skills.

Homeless Youth Kit Making Leadership Office Thursday March 28 at 3:30 pm
(limited to 35 students)

Please sign up ahead of this date in order to join us in making kits of
collected items for the local homeless teenage youth shelter Y.E.A.H. This
is one way to make this difficult part of someone's life feel more
manageable. We will be collecting toothpaste/toothbrush, razors, underwear,
socks and deodorant all month. Drop off at BHS Leadership office.

ONE BIG SCHOOL, FULL OF GREAT LEADERS!!!

John Villavicencio

Director of Student Activities

Berkeley High School

(650) 784-9579

johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

subject line: 'unsubscribe'; To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: 'subscribe'