[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Welcome event for African American and Latino Parents, Sept 15 (Sat.)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Aug 30 17:40:10 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Jorge Melgoza, jorgemelgoza at berkeley.net

Hello,

This year, in an effort to continue our outreach to African American and Latino families, we have scheduled a special event for Saturday, September 15 from 9:30 - 1pm at BHS.  This special Bienvenida / Welcome is meant to provide our parents with an opportunity from the very beginning to receive critical information about the resources and support that exist at BHS, the city and in our community to support the academic, social-emotional and physical well being of our students of color.

All parents of children of color at BHS are invited to enjoy a morning that will include a tour of Berkeley High, workshops on PowerSchool, Attendance, College, ATOD (Alcohol Tobacco and other Drugs) and Student Support (this includes after school programs and OCI). The morning will end with lunch and a special performance by our nationally acclaimed Jazz Ensemble.  Afterwards parents will have an opportunity to mingle with site, district and community members at information tables set up in the Jacket Gym.

All learning communities are cordially invited to attend and staff a table to share information about their programs and share opportunities for parents to engage and volunteer in their respective programs.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'm looking forward to seeing you on Saturday.

Jorge Melgoza
Vice Principal
Berkeley High School
510-644-8744