[BHS etree] ADMIN: Testing 2010

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Jan 8 11:26:57 PST 2010

Please do not contact the e-tree contact: Janet Huseby [mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

Berkeley High School offers four sets of important tests during the spring semester: The California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE); the STAR test (Standardized Testing and Reporting program which is required by No Child Left Behind); the Advanced Placement (AP) exams; and the International Baccalaureate (IB) exams. Our goal is to offer all four sets in a calm and orderly fashion. In order to do so we will need volunteer help.

The first exam is the two-day all-sophomore Exit Exam which will be offered on Tuesday, Feb. Feb. 2 and Wednesday, Feb. 3. The first day is English, the second is Math. Students must pass both sections in order to receive a California high school diploma. This will be the first time our 849 10th graders will take the exam. Most of them will pass both sections. If not, they will have several opportunities to retake the test as juniors and seniors.

The exam will be offered in several locations but most students will be assigned either the Jacket Gym or the Donahue Gym. The 10th graders will report to Berkeley High at 7:30 both days. The tests are untimed. As students finish the exam they will return to their regular school schedule. We need dozens of volunteers to help check students in, monitor the exam, and sort the material in the afternoon.

The three volunteer shifts are  7:15 to 8:30, 8:30 to noon and noon to 3 p.m.

* The first shift will be in charge of making sure each student has the proper test and answer sheet.
* The second shift will help monitor the test and start collecting and organizing the completed tests.
* The third shift will continue to monitor and organize the returned tests.

If you can help, please let me know which day and which shift. You can contact me at [mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net].

Thank you,
Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator