[BHS etree] SUPT: Are You Prepared for Disaster?

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Oct 27 09:27:34 PDT 2006

Please do not hit reply, contact Mark Coplan
[mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Are You Prepared for Disaster?

Our Assemblymember and Neighbor Loni Hancock asked me to share this
information with our school community. Berkeley was recognized in
Washington last year as one of the most prepared cities in the nation
in regard to disaster preparedness, all of our schools have emergency
containers filled with supplies, but we all have a long way to go in
order to be where the city and the superintendent want us to be. This
information will help you to be better prepared at home, which is the
root to our ability to function as a community in a disaster
situation. If you have to evacuate your home tomorrow, do you know
what you will need to take with you? If you haven't already packed
your emergency supplies, including cash as our bank cards will not
work, prescriptions, copies of your documents etc.,   the time to do
so is now.

Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer

Dear Friends:

As we mark the anniversaries of the Loma Prieta earthquake and
Oakland Hills fire, I would like to take this opportunity to remind
you that now is the time to prepare yourself, your family and your
home for the next natural disaster.

Your family's safety and well-being are one of my highest priorities,
and to help you prepare, I have put together an Emergency
Preparedness Guide that provides important and life-saving
information. Topics covered in the brochure include:

* Setting Aside Emergency Supplies

* Ensuring Safe Home Surroundings

* First Aid

* Steps to Take During and After an Earthquake

If you would like to request free copies of this guide, please
contact Melissa Male in my District Office at (510) 559 -1406.

Sincerely,

Assemblywoman Loni Hancock

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD