[BHS Etree] ATHLETICS: EVENTS: Come learn about the science of women in athletics, May 22 (Mon)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon May 15 22:53:22 PDT 2023

Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions, please
contact president at berkeleyathleticfund.net.

*The Berkeley Athletic Fund invites our Berkeley High Athletic community to
join us in conversation with award-winning sports and health journalist
Christine Yu to discuss the way women can boost athletic performance,
reduce injury, and stay healthy at all ages.*

Join us *Monday, May 22, at 6:30pm *in the M Gym at Berkeley High School.
Event is free and open to all, please help us out by pre-registering here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/meet-the-author-of-up-to-speedthe-groundbreaking-science-of-women-athletes-tickets-625939159877>.
Books can be pre-ordered from local bookstore Mrs. Dalloway’s with a 15%
discount here <https://www.mrsdalloways.com/book/9780593332399> using
coupon code *UP2SPEED, *or will be available for purchase at the event.

Christine’s work focuses on the intersection of sports science and women
athletes. Through her reporting she realized how little we know about and
understand female physiology and sports performance. Her exploration into
this relationship between science and athletic performance and the
underlying systems that exclude women became her debut book, UP TO SPEED:
The Groundbreaking Science of Women Athletes
<https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/671347/up-to-speed-by-christine-yu/>.
Berkeley High student athlete and BAF Board member Gracie Koch will be
interviewing Christine so we can all learn about her findings.

Throughout history, women have been kept off the pitch, the court, and the
starting line, and they’ve also been kept out of the research labs. So much
of what we take as gospel about exercise and sports is based solely on
studies of men. Men’s experiences set the standards for athletic
progression, training and nutrition guidelines, injury prevention
protocols, and athletic gear design.

Women deserve a system and culture of sports that help them thrive, one
that’s based on science and tailored to their lived experience. UP TO SPEED
explores questions like: why are women excluded from exercise physiology
and sports science research, what are the implications of this data gap,
and how can we empower people to excel at sports regardless of sex and
gender? She disentangles myth and gender bias from real science, making a
case for new approaches to help women athletes excel at every stage of
life.

Praise for UP TO SPEED

"Illuminating. . . Yu’s overview of the many ways women athletes are
underserved enrages, and her mastery of the scientific literature
impresses. This is a valuable contribution to the growing science on women
in sports." —Publishers Weekly

“Up to Speed is a roadmap and toolbox for athletes of all ages. Every coach
should read it and discuss it with their athletes. I wish I had been able
to read this book while I was competing.” —Kara Goucher, Olympic
long-distance runner and author of The Longest Race

“This book is a deeply important asset for building a better future for
women in sport. Yu gives context to the experiences of so many female
athletes and calls for a future where female athletes are studied,
supported and valued equally.”—Kate Courtney, Olympian and World Champion
mountain-bike racer

CHRISTINE YU is an award-winning journalist whose work focuses on the
intersection of sports science and women athletes. Her writing has appeared
in Outside, The Washington Post, Runner's World, and other publications.
She's a lifelong athlete and yoga teacher who loves running, surfing, and
skiing. She lives in Brooklyn, NY.

*_____________________________*

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions
about the E-tree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS E-tree archives <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>

BHS website <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

BUSD 2022-2023 Calendar
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/BUSD-Calendar-K12-22-23.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoKaZIol254f7rDheAHhgr1FEJWfEOS2e4nU7_4LcqM/edit>

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list. If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the E-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>