[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Bulletin Apr. 15 (Fri)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Apr 15 09:15:54 PDT 2022

Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions, please see contacts below.

April 15, 2022
Here is today’s video bulletin:
 student bulletin 41522.mp4 <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vgaMW4gRTUIKnQvABAKnD6_m1uD_9rWG/view?usp=drive_web> student bulletin 41522.mp4

NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS

BHS ROBOTICS

Congratulations to the BHS Robotics team Berkelium on their amazingly successful season! Attending three regional competitions in Venture, Sacramento and Silicon Valley this season, Berkelium ranked 3rd, 6th and 8th respectively. The exemplary work of our programming sub-team earned the Autonomous Award sponsored by Ford for the 2022 robot named SQUID.

Look for SQUID and the robotics team at the spring carnival next Friday. You will be amazed!
Submitted by dirkwright at berkeley.net <mailto:dirkwright at berkeley.net>

UNITY WEEK

Check out the Unity Week slide deck <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1aF5B6V_c4CoO3rhokLQ1Ad9-0-2mfT2DRNhKy3655cY/edit?usp=sharing> with theme days, expectations & carnival reminders.
*Staff you will receive a separate email with a different slide deck.

HOT COCOA ON PAJAMA DAY
To celebrate pajama day, the first day of Unity Week, the freshmen leadership team will be serving hot chocolate before school. Starting at 9:30am on Monday, April 18, stop by the Donahue Gym and grab a free cup of hot chocolate!

Submitted by the Freshmen Leadership Team

GREEN TEAM BINGO during EARTH WEEK / UNITY WEEK
The BHS Green Team is hosting a week-long bingo for prizes that can be collected at the carnival on Unity Day! Copy this document <https://docs.google.com/document/d/12KQ5MtlQmDCQydpsNfJEvITQ6yde65HkAO130rrg_pU/edit?usp=sharing> and add photos: and show it at our booth on Friday (April 22) for a chance to get something sweet.

ELECTION WORKER
The Alameda County Registrar of Voters (ROV) is preparing to appoint Student Election Workers to serve on Tuesday, June 7, 2022, Statewide Primary Election

 Your leadership in promoting participation on your campus is truly appreciated and the more days you are available the better your chance of being appointed.

CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION <https://alamedacountyregistrarofvoters.cmail20.com/t/j-l-zkuliul-dyulhtptt-y/>

We are following mandates from County and State COVID-19 requirements. Personal Protective Equipment will be provided during training and voting dates.

Students can earn up to $475 for serving. If you have friends or family that are looking to earn extra money and community service experience, please pass on this high school application to them.

If you are no longer a student in high school, you are still strongly encouraged to participate as your experience and tech-savviness will help as we introduce our new electronic voting system to our voters.

The Student Poll Worker Program is truly a “Civics in Action” exercise.

High school students must meet the following criteria to participate:

Be age 16 or older on or before Friday, April 8th, 2022
Have a GPA of 2.5 or greater
Have permission from a parent/guardian and a school administrator
Approval is not needed for weekend hours from school

IMPORTANT PREVIOUS ANNOUNCEMENTS BELOW

BHS Green Team Hosts Guest Speaker on Climate Change and Its Effects on Mental Health
The green team is hosting a presentation by Dr. Robert Root about climate change and its effects on mental health. Come to C309 on Friday April 15th; the presentation will be during lunch, with a follow up Q&A after school Friday at 4pm. For more information, go to @bhsgreenteam on instagram or email berkeleyhighgreen at gmail.com <mailto:berkeleyhighgreen at gmail.com>.

The Foundress
Please dive into thefoundress.net <http://thefoundress.net/> to check out our school's official literary magazine, The Foundress! We will start to promote it now that it's out, but please encourage students to check it out and submit! We are ending the year with poetry, so students should definitely send in poems for publication, but we're open to all types of writing and art.

Stay tuned for our upcoming poetry reading/breakfast in May. Our hard copy will be released by the end of April.

The Literary Magazine, the Foundress, is hosting a poetic scavenger hunt during Unity Week. Here's how it works:
1. LOOK (don't take) for words/phrases that will be posted throughout campus. Take a pic of ones you find- leave the words posted where you found them!
2. With at least 10 of the poetry slips, arrange them into a poem. You are allowed to add on these slips with other lines or phrases. Put them in any order you want.
3. Submit your poem with subject heading "Poetic scavenger hunt" to foundresswriting at berkeley.net <mailto:foundresswriting at berkeley.net>. Make sure to include your name. Due Friday, April 22nd at 5pm.
4. The lit mag team will judge the poems the following week and announce a winner by May 2nd.
5. There will be prizes:  for 1st - a gift certificate to Pegasus Books, 2nd and third place. Winners will be invited to read their poems at our poetry reading on May 25th during first period. We will also post the poems on our website and instagram.

The Jacket is hiring
The Jacket is hiring for two more exciting positions: the business team, and web team! The business team is an amazing opportunity to get behind the scenes at Jacket, by working to fundraise money and manage finances. The web team is responsible for getting articles on the Jacket website, creating interactive elements and stories for the website, and managing the website.  All students and grades are encouraged to apply for these positions.

Here is the link for the business application <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-M7vA8MY7vbkDo7pUsKZaK7tf7r2apwBa2MRShJH2N4/edit>, and here is the web application <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UT_r8sCg5MQ5fjd31v3FK2ODqAaezvO89ar61-uufNs/edit>,

Submitted by naomirosen at students.berkeley.net <mailto:naomirosen at students.berkeley.net>
@bhsjacket

Unity Week 2022
Time to Show Your Jacket Pride!
During April 18-22, Berkeley High will come together as one big red & gold family to celebrate Unity Week. Each day, there will be a theme for dress and activities. All students and staff are encouraged to participate.

Monday is Pajama Day
Tuesday is TV/Movie Character Day
Wednesday is Country Day > So yes, this could be country as in the genre of music, farm life or even farm animals, and if you interpret a different way, you could represent your family’s country of origin. A lot of options…
Thursday is Decade’s Day with 60s for 9th grade, 70s for 10th grade, 80s for 11th grade & 90s/00s for 12th grade.

On Friday, we conclude Unity Week with Red & Gold Jacket Pride along with the spring carnival in the afternoon.

Reminder for planning those outfits…be aware of your choice of outfit and its impact on others. We dress up to have fun, but not to make fun of others…

Be on the lookout for more details from the Unity Team.

Get Involved in Carnival!
If you have a group or club that would like to participate in the carnival, please contact Mr. V <mailto:johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net>, Chloe Burke <mailto:chloeburke at students.berkeley.net> or Hanim Nuru <mailto:hanimnuru at students.berkeley.net>.

Go Jackets!

Our Monologues begins April 15 & 16 in BHS Little Theater at 7 pm.
@ourmonologuesbhs

JOIN LEADERSHIP
If you are interested in continuing to build positive school culture at Berkeley High, please consider joining one of the school wide leadership teams.

Class teams focus on activities and events for their grade level.
Executive Team members have specific missions to carry out related to their position.
Student Senate members consider policy and budgetary matters of a larger scale.
Link Leaders provide a warm welcome and introduction to the incoming 9th graders and older new-to-BHS students at orientation.

2022-2023 LEADERSHIP APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE HERE <https://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/?page_id=21>
Submitted by Mr. V

BHS Athletics Update

 Check out the calendar to go support your Yellow Jackets!
Link to game calendar <https://westalamedacountyconference.org/public/genie/678/school/3/>
For upcoming games & scores, visit
Berkeleyhighathletics.org <http://berkeleyhighathletics.org/>

Quick Links
Need a Replacement Student ID? Replacement ID Form <https://forms.gle/JeV7JLVzAn9qw4YG8>
Submit an entry for the BHS Film Festival BHS Film Festival Submissions <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeRO278OPn6rt8XmKdBSg9fZ8Vk4ObOi-JpDIjR7g8zJ0B9PA/viewform?usp=sf_link>
Title IX Resource Document Click here for the document <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AwT_RskEtnxpzMMeaZWjf_gsgrMDglzo7EMIlHJBRfg/edit?usp=sharing>
Complete a Free & Reduced Lunch Application secure.ezmealapp.com <http://secure.ezmealapp.com/> contact saraleon at berkeley.net <mailto:saraleon at berkeley.net>
Join a BHS Student Club BHS Student Club List <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>
New Club Registration has closed for 21-22 Register a BHS Student Club for 2021-22 <https://forms.gle/NbSbChjSjWzeLP9y6>
BHS Athletics Berkeleyhighathletics.org <http://berkeleyhighathletics.org/>
Class of 2022 Senior Letter Senior Info, Dates & Resources <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/senior-information-2/>

Submit A Bulletin
If any BHS student or staff member is interested in submitting an announcement,
there are some basic guidelines to follow:
Here are the basic guidelines for submitting a bulletin:
1. It must be relevant to roughly 100 or more students or staff members.
2. It must be a message that promotes community and builds up positive school culture.
3. Please no birthday announcements or personal requests.
Please submit your morning announcement to the Google From by Monday morning: http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>

About
ASB Leadership is a collective student voice composed of a diverse body of student leaders. Our mission is to create a more positive and engaging experience at Berkeley High through civic engagement, community building, sustainability, social events, and positive staff-student relations.

Useful Links
BHS Website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
Student Bulletin Archive <http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>
Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>
Follow @juicethejackets <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>
Current List of Student Clubs <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>
BHS Events Calendar <https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c_b3hvfpkecpkeh4gc3atup2dang%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles>
Common Concerns Form <https://forms.gle/EcFo7XhMnwD9Li3B8>
Contact Info
Berkeley High ASB Leadership
1980 Allston Way, Berkeley CA United States 94704
johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net <mailto:johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net>
510.644.8990
Go Jackets!

Notification of Non-Discrimination Policy
The Berkeley Unified School District is committed to providing a hostile-free working and learning environment. The District prohibits discrimination, harassment, bullying, intimidation, and retaliation, based on actual or perceived race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding/lactation status (related medical conditions), religion, color, national origin (including language restrictions and possession of a driver’s license (issued under Vehicle Code), ancestry, immigration status, physical or mental disability (including clinical depression and bipolar disorder, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, epilepsy, seizure disorder, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and heart attack), medical condition (cancer-related and genetic characteristics), military and veteran status, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age (40 and above), genetic information, political belief or affiliation (unless union related), a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance, or regulation in any program or activity it conducts or to which it provides significant assistance.

Discrimination is different treatment based on a protected characteristic in the context of an educational program, work or activity without a legitimate, nondiscriminatory reason that interferes with or limits the individual’s ability to participate in or benefit from the services, activities, or privileges provided by the District or includes an adverse employment action.

Hostile environment harassment occurs when a target is subjected to unwelcome conduct based on a protected characteristic, which is both subjectively offensive to the target and would be offensive to a reasonable person of similar circumstances/characteristics and is sufficiently so severe, and so pervasive to interfere with or limit an individual’s ability to effectively work or to participate in or benefit from the services, activities, or opportunities offered by the District. Harassment may take many forms, including but not limited to, verbal remarks and name-calling, graphic and written statements, or any conduct that may be threatening or humiliating. Harassment based on any of the above protected categories is a form of unlawful discrimination and will not be tolerated by the District and can result in disciplinary action against the offending student or employee.

Upon witnessing an act of discrimination, harassment, bullying, intimidation, and retaliation, based on actual or perceived protected characteristics, school personnel are required to take immediate steps to intervene when it is safe to do so. Once a school/office has expressed notice or reason to know of such conduct, whether carried out by employees, students, or third parties, it should take immediate and appropriate steps to investigate, determine what occurred, take prompt and effective steps reasonably calculated to end the conduct, eliminate a hostile environment, if one has been created and prevent the conduct from occurring again. These steps should be taken regardless of whether an individual makes a complaint or asks the school/office to take action. Complaints are protected from retaliation. The District prohibits retaliation against any person who files a complaint or an appeal, reports instances of noncompliance, discrimination, harassment, bullying, and intimidation, or who participates in the complaint-filing or investigation process. This nondiscriminatory policy applies to all acts related to school activity or school attendance within any school/office under the jurisdiction of the Berkeley Unified School District.

For more information, or to file a complaint please contact:
District Title IX Coordinator/Compliance Officer Berkeley Unified School District, 2020 Bonar Street, Room 117, Berkeley CA 94702 Phone: (510) 486-9338; Email: complaints at berkeley.net <mailto:complaints at berkeley.net>,

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions about the E-tree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS E-tree archives <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2021-2022 Calendar <https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Calendar-21-22-v71221.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoKaZIol254f7rDheAHhgr1FEJWfEOS2e4nU7_4LcqM/edit>

To unsubscribe from the E-tree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/>, or contact the E-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>