[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Bulletin Video Aug. 27 (Fri)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Aug 27 10:30:21 PDT 2021

Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions, visit the
Bulletin link for submission instructions.

2021-2022 ASB Leadership

*One **big**, **red** &** gold** family!*

*BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL *

*STUDENT BULLETIN*

Lottie D., Chief of Publicity

Adam W., Chief of Publicity

Jack W., Chief of Publicity

Mr. V, Director of Student Activities

Current Bulletin Schedule Monday, Wednesday, Friday

*Friday, August 27, 2021*

Watch today's bulletin on our @Juicethejackets Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>

*Berkeley High Events Calendar*

Follow & add the Berkeley High Events Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c_b3hvfpkecpkeh4gc3atup2dang%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles>

Club events, performances, large school events, and other important
deadlines.

*Senior Portraits & Make Up Photo*

*Senior Portraits *will take place on campus at the end of October. More
info about appointments will be shared in the next few weeks.

If you missed taking a photo during registration week, what do you need to
do?

There will be one more make-up photo date on October 6th.

Visit Mylifetouch.com for information on 2021-22 LifeTouch School Photos

   - To browse and purchase packages before your Photo Day
   <https://my.lifetouch.com/mylifetouch/#/pictureDayId/EVTQV8KDN>.
   - To purchase packages after Photo Day, you will need a Portrait ID from
   the order form.  <https://my.lifetouch.com/mylifetouch/#/>

*Join a Club OR Start a Club*

The BHS Student Club list is always available online on the BHS website.
All student clubs are inclusive and open to new members throughout the
entire school year (with only a few exceptions due to competition schedule
or GPA requirements).

BHS Student Club List
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>

If you would like to register a NEW or RETURNING student club, then please
complete a club registration form by October 31st.

Register a BHS Student Club for 2021-22
<https://forms.gle/NbSbChjSjWzeLP9y6>

*Fall PE Waiver due September 10*

Any student participating in a state or nationally sponsored competitive
sports activity, including a professional dance company, can request a
waiver of the Physical Education requirement from the BHS Administration.
Please review the entire requirements for approval of the waiver and submit
the completed form by September 10, 2021. The forms are available at the
Counseling Center.

   - * For the Berkeley YMCA PE Waiver Program contact Angelo Petrilli at
   apetrilli at ymcaeastbay.org
   - * For BHS Athletic Teams contact the Athletic Directors at
   athleticdirector at berkeley.net

*Boys & Girls Water Polo Game Tonight*

Good luck to the Boys & Girls Water Polo teams tonight as they face San
Marin at the BHS Natatorium starting at 5:30 pm. Seating is extremely
limited. Check out the BHS Athletics website for the full Fall Sports
calendar <https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/home>. Good
luck, Yellow Jackets!

*First Physics Club Guest Speaker*

When: 7th of September, 4:00 - 5:00 PM Pacific Time

Jonathan Wurtele: Uncovering Antimatter-Matter Asymmetry with Laser &
Plasma Technology

Who: Jonathan Wurtele is a Professor of Physics at UC Berkeley. He was a
Research Scientist at MIT's Plasma Fusion Center (1984-87) and an Assistant
and Associate Professor in MIT's Physics Department (1987-95) His research
has led to the first trapping of neutral antimatter in 2010.

What: The Antihydrogen Laser Physics Apparatus (ALPHA) is a collaboration
at CERN. In 2010, the group used ALPHA to trap neutral antimatter for the
first time. A new apparatus (ALPHA-2), was commissioned in 2014 to study
matter-antimatter imbalance. Professor Wurtele will speak about his
experiences working with ALPHA/plasma and laser technology and studying
antihydrogen in order to learn more about the asymmetry of antimatter and
matter.

Sign up here <https://forms.gle/xPZZq2zXas9eZLJX6>.

Join Zoom Meeting
<https://zoom.us/j/95361868772?pwd=YlRFcFNxb29aQ2F4cDNVdG5VYmo3UT09>

Meeting ID: 953 6186 8772

Passcode: Physics!

*CLIMATE STRIKE on FRIDAY*

Come to the Youth Climate Strike this Friday in San Francisco! This is an
action against environmental racism, and calling on fossil fuel divestment!
We students deserve a future! DM Raven @bigravin with questions!

This is an action by Youth vs Apocalypse

(A Bay area youth climate group with BHS student members)

@youthvsapocalypse

*JOIN THE BHS JACKET STUDENT NEWSPAPER*

The Berkeley High Jacket Newspaper is hiring Writers, Illustrators,
Photographers, and Columnists for the 2021/2022 school year!

If you are interested in joining a strong community of student journalists
and help to construct our award winning paper each week, we strongly
encourage you to apply.

All grades and students may apply regardless of past experience. Writer,
Illustrator, and Photographer applications are due September 3, at 7pm.

Direct any questions to Jeremy Herpin at jeremyherpin at students.berkeley.net

Instagram @bhsjacket

*STEMinist= STEM + Feminism*

Our mission is to create a safe and encouraging environment for people who
are curious about science, technology, engineering, and math as well as
gender equity issues, all while bringing awareness to the
underrepresentation of women in STEM. We also aim to form a supportive
community at BHS in which students, especially women and non binary
students, can explore, experience, learn about, and pursue STEM careers.

Every Wednesday we host guest speakers who work in the various STEM fields,
who talk about their job, how to navigate the STEM field as a woman and the
path to their current careers.

Email us to join an email list for more updates.

Where: Room G213

When: Wednesdays at lunch

For more information visit: https://bhssteminist.wixsite.com/club

Email us at: bhssteminsit at gmail.com

or DM us on Instagram @bhs.steminist

*MEATLESS MONDAYS *

You don’t have to go vegan to make a difference, go Meatless Monday! What
is Meatless Monday? Simply eating vegetarian on Mondays, or any other days
of the week. Our school is joining the global Meatless Monday campaign to
make our impact. Why Meatless Monday? For the health of our planet,
animals, and ourselves. If everyone in the U.S. ate no meat or cheese just
one day a week, it would be like taking 7.6 million cars off the road! By
eating 1 lb less of meat, we save more water than not taking a shower for 6
months, 16 pounds of grains, and 4 pounds of greenhouse emissions!

Find delicious FREE vegetarian food in the cafeteria, find tasty
plant-based recipes at
https://www.mondaycampaigns.org/meatless-monday/recipes and use the Zero
Waste club’s Meatless Map that shows you all the vegetarian and plant-based
options around campus (https://bhszerowaste.wixsite.com/website/menus)!
Every meal counts. Make yours today!

Here at the BHS Meatless Monday Campaign, we care a lot about food. We know
food is something that many of us hold closely to our hearts. We’d love to
know more about your experience with food! This is why we have created a
survey to gather information about the eating habits of our community and
students' opinions on the current BHS school lunch system, so that we can
create a campaign that supports students whatever their situation may be.

 We would greatly appreciate it if you help us with our mission by filling
out this completely anonymous survey <https://forms.gle/dcDiH38B1KGzsh5F8>.

 Estimated time to complete: 5-8 minutes

Instagram: @bhszerowaste

*Join Redwood Literary Magazine*

Interested in writing fiction or poetry? Join Redwood Literary Magazine!
Redwood is published once per quarter, and our first meeting of the year is
Friday, September 3rd, at lunch. We'll be on the grass between the H
building and the Little Theater. Visit redwoodberkeleyhigh.com or email
redwoodberkeleyhigh at gmail.com for more information.

*Textbook Pick-Up*

If you didn't pick up your textbooks at registration, please visit the BHS
library on the second floor of the D-building Monday-Thursday, 8:00-8:30
am, during lunch, or 3:30 -4:00 pm.

The BHS LIBRARY is located on the 2ND Floor of the D-BUILDING. Here, you
will have the ability to access the library on your own outside of class
time, as well as during your classes with your teachers. The BHS Library is
open an hour before school (7:30 - 8:30am Tue-Fri and 9:30 am on late start
Mondays), during lunch, and an hour after school (3:30 - 4:30pm).
Unfortunately, there is no eating or snacks allowed in the library this
year, but you're welcome to bring in a water bottle. One of the librarians,
Ms. Rosenkrantz, Ms. Irby, or Ms. Fitzhugh, will always be there to support
you with anything you need - finding a great new independent reading book,
help printing, accessing an assignment.

You can find out more about the library on their Instagram
@berkeleyhighlibrary

Useful Links

BHS Website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

Student Bulletin Archive <http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>

Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>

Follow @juicethejackets <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>

Current List of Student Clubs
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>

*_____________________________*

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2021-2022 Calendar: 2021-2022 Calendar
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Calendar-21-22-v71221.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

word only in the subject line: subscribe