[BHS Etree] ADMIN: BHS Phase 2 Hybrid Learning Reopening

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Apr 2 17:13:37 PDT 2021

Hello BHS Students and Families,

If you have any questions after reading this message, please contact your
student’s SLC or Department Administrator who will best be able to discuss
what Hybrid Learning may look like for your student. Administrator contact
information is found in the FAQ linked below.

I look forward to seeing many of our students return to campus very soon.
We’ve already welcomed several hundred back over the last month and it’s
clear how much returning means to them and their families. The staff at BHS
has been working hard to make sure our campus is safe and welcoming for a
larger physical reopening.

You’ve had many questions these last few days and I hope this email helps
you.

Perhaps most importantly for students and families is that if you/your
student would like to return to in-person learning opportunities at BHS
starting Monday, April 26th, your student must go into their @
students.berkeley.net email, find an email titled “BHS Term 8 In-Person
Learning Enrollment Form” sent on March 30th, and complete the Google Form
indicating that they would like to participate in the “In Person Hybrid
Model.” The original due date to complete the Form was Sunday, April 4th.
We are extending the deadline until Friday, April 9th at 12:00pm.
Additionally, we are giving students the ability to edit their responses
after initial submission if your decision changes. Please make your final
decision by 4/9 at noon.

In making your decision, you are likely wondering what “in person” for the
remainder of this school year will look like and mean. I want to review the
key components with you, and I also want to acknowledge that the plan I
outline below may not satisfy everything that you would like in a return.
Our Hybrid Learning model for this year is not a full time return to campus
for all students. I know that this leaves some of you very disappointed and
I want you to know that this plan is a transition from our 100% Distance
Learning plan to a full time return in the Fall. Our District and labor
unions reached an agreement, and I am committed to making this the  Hybrid
Learning plan before us happen.

For reference regarding the information below, please see the Term 7 and
Term 8 “Class Schedules” at the bottom of this message. Teachers were
assigned as “Teacher A” or Teacher B” based on geographic location in order
to ensure safe distance in hallways and buildings. Classroom set ups will
ensure social distancing in the classroom, and anyone that has been on
campus during a passing period knows that hallways are normally very
crowded.

Term 7 Hybrid Learning

After Spring Break (April 5-9), students will return for the last two weeks
in Term 7 (Periods 1, 3, 5, and 7 if applicable) from April 12-23. The last
week of Term 7 (April 19-23) is finals week.

Universal 9th Grade

During the last two weeks in Term 7 (April 12-23), a number of 9th grade
students will return to campus. Teachers in the Universal 9th Grade Core
Program (English 1, Math 1, Physics 1, and Ethnic Studies/Social Living)
have already begun to each invite between 10-15 students that would most
benefit, academically and socially, from returning to campus right before
and during finals week. U9 teachers have also been on campus to review
safety protocols (many of which will be reviewed with students on the 1st
day of in-person learning), and set up their classrooms. Each U9 teacher
will hold ONE stable group on either Monday/Tuesday from 2:00-3:30pm or
Thursday/Friday from 2:00-3:30pm. So, if your teacher contacted you with an
invitation and you accepted, you will be with that U9 teacher’s stable
group for four in-person sessions during the last two weeks of Term 7.

10th-12th Grade Classes

During the last week in Term 7 (April 19-23), a number of 10th-12th grade
students (and 9th graders in mixed-grade classes) will return to campus.
10th-12th grade teachers will each begin to invite between 10-15 students
that would most benefit, academically and socially, from returning to
campus during finals week. These teachers will be on campus to review
safety protocols (many of which will be reviewed with students on the 1st
day of in-person learning), set up their classrooms, and start to invite
students on Wednesday, April 14th. Some teachers may already be reaching
out. Each 10th-12th grader teacher will hold ONE stable group on either
Monday/Tuesday from 2:00-3:30pm or Thursday/Friday from 2:00-3:30pm. So, if
your  teacher contacts you with an invitation and you accept, you will be
with that teacher’s stable group for two in-person sessions during the last
week of Term 7.

Term 8 Hybrid Learning

While Term 7 stable groups are by invitation only, the formation of stable
groups for Term 8 will be facilitated by BHS Administration in
collaboration with teachers. For the larger return starting April 26,
students must complete the BHS Term 8 In-Person Learning Enrollment Form and
all students that choose to return will have the opportunity to do so.

For Term 8 (Periods 0 if applicable, 2, 4, and 6) from April 26-June 4,
most teachers will hold TWO stable groups on either Monday/Tuesday from
2:00-3:30pm (one each day) or Thursday/Friday from 2:00-3:30pm (one each
day).

After closing the Enrollment Form, administrators will begin to “cohort”
students in stable groups with their teachers. While there are scheduling
constraints (e.g., all 3 of your teachers are “Teacher As” so there would
only be two stable group slots), we will assign each student that chooses
Hybrid Learning at least two afternoon stable groups with their teachers.
If more stable groups are possible and available for that student’s
schedule, then we will schedule accordingly.

We will work as quickly as possible after the Enrollment Form closes to
build cohorts and notify students of their stable groups which will start
on April 26th. Students should make sure to check their email and also
Illuminate account.

All “stable groups” happening 2:00-3:30pm described above are linked to
teacher classes. It is very important for you to know that the core
learning will still happen in the morning Distance Learning schedule.
Students that choose to not participate in Hybrid Learning will not be
penalized. The stable groups, instead, will offer supplemental learning and
intervention, both academically and socially, for all students that choose
to return. These groups will be the first opportunities for most students
to interact with their peers and educators in over a year.

Class Schedule Changes

For Phase 2, there are several changes to the schedule (see below) that
will impact everyone, whether you are choosing to remain in Distance
Learning only or participate in Hybrid Learning.

The school day for most students will now begin at 8:55am instead of
9:15am. This change allows for in-person stable groups to be 1.5 hours
long. If you have a 0 period class in the morning, that will run from
7:45-8:45am. Note: If you have a 7th period class, your teacher is working
with their administrator to find a time for the class to meet.

All Distance Learning classes will continue to be 1 hour long, while
Wednesday Small Group Supports (named “DL Student Support” during Term 8)
will now go from 45 minutes long to 1 hour long. Passing periods (virtual)
in the morning will now go down from 15 minutes to 10 minutes.

The last class for most students and lunch time are now swapped so that
lunch is after period 5 (Term 7) and period 6 (Term 8). This allows staff
and students who are at home for Distance Learning a longer period of time
to make their way to campus, especially if public transportation is not
running at full capacity.

Berkeley High School Class Schedule

Term 7 (April 12/19 - April 26)

Time

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

8:55-9:55

Period 1

Period 1

Period 1 Small Group Support

Period 1

Period 1

10-Minute Passing Period

10:05-11:05

Period 3

Period 3

Period 3 Small Group Support

Period 3

Period 3

10-Minute Passing Period

11:15-12:15

Period 5

Period 5

Period 5 Small Group Support

Period 5

Period 5

12:15-1:00pm

Lunch

1:00-2:00pm

Transition

Transition

2:00-3:30

Teacher A Stable Group  (In Person)

Teacher A Stable Group  (In Person)

Faculty & SLC / Department Professional Development Meetings (1:30-3pm)

Teacher B Stable Group  (In Person)

Teacher B Stable Group  (In Person)

Berkeley High School Class Schedule

Term 8 (April 26 - June 4)

Time

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

7:45-8:45

Period 0

Period 0

Period 0

Period 0

10-Minute Passing Period

8:55-9:55

Period 2

Period 2

Period 2 DL Student Support

Period 2

Period 2

10-Minute Passing Period

10:05-11:05

Period 4

Period 4

Period 4 DL Student Support

Period 4

Period 4

10-Minute Passing Period

11:15-12:15

Period 6

Period 6

Period 6 DL Student Support

Period 6

Period 6

12:15-1:00pm

Lunch

1:00-2:00pm

Transition

Transition

2:00-3:30

Teacher A Stable Group 1 (In Person)

Teacher A Stable Group 2 (In Person)

Faculty & SLC / Department Professional Development Meetings (1:30-3pm)

Teacher B Stable Group 1 (In Person)

Teacher B Stable Group 2 (In Person)

Physical Return to Campus

Students that choose to participate in Hybrid Learning should expect new
protocols while coming to, and while on, campus.

All students returning to campus are required to complete the DAILY Health
Screener prior to arriving at BHS. Students and families must visit this
link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdtsYuS1F7k5EyC6LAtPPRLMBkB_0lm8pded7rwQb61kU6XOg/viewform>
everyday to complete the screener. If you answer YES to any of the
questions, DO NOT COME TO SCHOOL.

>From April 12-16, 9th grade students that return to campus will have two
entry point options: “M Gate” on Milvia and Kittredge or “Bancroft/MLK
gate” on Bancroft and MLK. These two gates are on opposite sides of the
school to allow easier and quicker access for students depending on which
location they are coming to. Both of these entries will also be exits at
the end of the day. On April 19, when 10th-12th grade students return, we
will open a third gate - “Athletic Gate” on Milvia and Durant. This gate
will then also be an exit. Additionally, the “G/H Breezeway” will serve as
an exit-only.

Please know that the “A Gate” at the front of the school on Allston will be
closed for the remainder of the school year due to construction in the A
Building. All students and families should avoid this gate.

Entry gates will open no earlier than 15 minutes prior to the start of
in-person stable groups. That means students will not be able to enter
campus until 1:45pm at the earliest for 2:00pm stable groups.

Upon entering campus, staff will be at the gates with PPE available,
including masks, hand sanitizer, and gloves.

Students are expected to wear their masks throughout the entire time that
they are on campus and also to maintain social distancing from each other.
You will see reminders throughout campus and staff will supervise the
hallways and outdoor areas.

Above all students bathrooms are signs that indicate the maximum capacity
inside. We encourage students to look at those signs prior to entering and
wait outside, on marked spots, if necessary.

Meals

Most students will not be on campus for lunch. All students and families
can get a school grab-and-go breakfast and lunch between 7:45am-11:00am on
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Each bag includes food for the following
day(s).

Symptomatic Students

While on campus, if a student appears to be symptomatic, they will be
escorted to an “Isolation Room” in the Main Office. An administrator will
then contact the student’s parent/guardian for immediate pick up and will
follow up with next steps, if necessary.

After reading this message, you may still have questions. We’ve collected
questions from students and families and created this FAQ
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/14uJNnCwLWV68FCMPo35iFW4S3nur2pokfiD-3lurDXU/edit?usp=sharing>
.

Additionally, please review the BUSD Campus Reopening Information website
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/campus-reopening/>. For all families
sending their students back for Hybrid Learning, please review the Middle
School and High School Family Health & Safety Guidelines
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Middle-School-and-High-School-Family-Health-and-Safety-Guidelines-04.12.21.pdf>
as well as the Return to In-Person Learning Checklist
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/MS-and-HS-Checklist.pdf>
.

Again, if you have any questions after reading this message, please contact
your student’s SLC or Department Administrator who will best be able to
discuss what Hybrid Learning may look like for your student. Administrator
contact information is found in the FAQ linked above.

Thank you.

------------------------------------

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

To *subscribe* to the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: subscribe