[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Bulletin for Week of September 14

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Sep 18 14:17:21 PDT 2020

PLEASE do not reply to this email - contact information is included below.

*BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL *

*STUDENT BULLETIN*

One big, red & gold family!

Felix Mousigian, Chief of Publicity

Aaron Rumph, Chief of Publicity

Mr. V, Director of Student Activities

2020-2021 ASB Leadership

Week of September 14, 2020

The Student Bulletin Archives are always available here
<http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>.

Student Bulletin Video Episodes release Monday or Tuesday

Student Bulletin messages release Monday & Thursday or Friday

Student Bulletin Episode 4 part 2

Monday, September 21st, is Zero Emissions Day

Reduce Your Carbon Footprint

Monday, September 21st, is Zero Emissions Day: a global, 24-hour break from
the use of fossil fuels. The guidelines are simple: don’t use or burn oil,
gas, or coal, and minimize or eliminate your use of electricity generated
by fossil fuels. As the holiday approaches, we’ll be sharing some ways you
can reduce your carbon footprint on the BHS leadership Instagram account (
@juicethejackets <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>). Finally, on
Zero Emissions Day we’ll be having a “Bike Berkeley” event, with suggested
routes to explore our city on two wheels. Stay tuned, and stay sustainable!

The Student Club Fair will take all week at Berkeley High!

The Virtual Club Fair will take place each day this week from 1:30-2:20 pm.
Club leaders will host a meet and greet online based on the following
categories.

Monday: Academic

Tuesday: Cultural

Wed: Activism

Thur: Leadership

Friday: Miscellaneous, the rest of the participating clubs

This is a great opportunity to meet other students and gain some new skills.

Be on the lookout for the email from Mr. V with the link and the clubs
attending each day. Also available on @juicethejackets

Join Physics Club

Did you also know that if you move at the speed of light (300,000 m/s),
time stops? This is what Einstein is known for discovering.

If you want to learn more cool concepts, join Berkeley High's very own
Physics Club! By joining, you will have the opportunity to talk to college
professors, design your own hands-on experiments, and have stimulating
conversations.

Marta Volonteri, our first speaker, will be giving a lecture this Saturday
about the astrophysical aspects behind how black holes evolved with
galaxies. The lecture will be live on September 19 at 9 AM PST, so bring
all the questions you have! (The video will be recorded to watch later too)

Meets: 2:40-3:40 PM every Wednesday

If you are interested in joining, then please fill out the attached Google
form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfOLOUP7S2crDdQn6iVg9xXcpGXzhpU3blyxr5yEfCiuPq8OA/viewform>
.

If you are planning on attending the lecture this weekend, please fill out
the form by Friday at 8 PM.

Join Model United Nations

Interested in creating solutions to the world's problems? Want to propose
your own solutions and debate other students? Interested in learning about
the United Nations and how it works? Join Model United Nations!

We meet every week on Thursdays 2:45 - 3:30 pm.

Our first meeting is on Thursday October 2, but you can join at any time.

Fill out the attached Google form to join
<https://forms.gle/epSkaxWcBXnLaWkH8>.

Got any questions? Contact us at: berkeleyhighmodelun at gmail.com

Sign up for Free School Meals

We encourage every family to complete an application for free/reduced price
school meals. Even if your student does not intend to take advantage of the
lunch program, every qualified application is counted towards bringing
significant federal and state funding to our schools in addition to
qualifying your student for other benefits like discounts on exams and
events.

To learn more or Apply online at ezmealapp.com <http://www.ezmealapp.com/>

For more information, please see this letter from the Director of Nutrition
Services (in English and Spanish)
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/2019/08/nutritious-school-meals-alimentos-nutritivos/>
.

UC Berkeley Offers Growth & Mentorship to BHS Students

Young people are taking on challenges and spearheading movements around the
world. Members of UC Berkeley would like to help.

UC Berkeley is piloting a weekly virtual panel series exclusively to
Berkeley High, starting on September 23rd. The panels will feature
presentations from graduate students, faculty, and researchers on current
social issues. Presenters will speak about their personal interest on these
issues and how they are grappling with them in their work. Then they’ll
answer your questions, and hear your thoughts. The schedule will look like
this across the 8 week panel series:

September 23rd: Environment

September 30th: Poverty/Inequality

October 7th: Democracy

October 14th: Race

October 21st: Education

October 28th: Health

November 4th: Gender

November 11th: COVID-19 recession

Following the panel discussion, if you are interested in:

   -

   Hearing more about what is going on at UC Berkeley
   -

   Starting a local or global initiative
   -

   Understanding the relevance of calculus (or any of your classes!) to
   solve the climate crisis (or any other social issue!)
   -

   Learning about opportunities awaiting you in college
   -

   Or any other collaborative experience you would like to bring forward…

… you can enlist the support of a UCB panelist though a mentorship program.

Please join us, Wednesdays at 4pm. (Zoom link)
<https://berkeley.zoom.us/j/91728623932>.

Reach out to zephyrzoidis at students.berkeley.net if you have any questions.

The Multi-Cultural Student Association has a College Advising Program

Are you currently struggling to write your college applications, financial
aid and wanting to know more about general college life? Then the BCAP
program is perfect for you. The Multi-Cultural Student Association has a
College Advising Program with the Mixed Retention Center at UCB. We have a
group of 20 UCB student mentors (from all diff backgrounds and all POC)
available to provide personalized support to students looking for help with
writing college applications, financial aid and having a stronger
understanding of what it's like to navigate college.

MRRC will be providing weekly pre-recorded presentations about the college
application process, essay writing, financial aid, and more. Mentorship
will start the first week of October and end the second week of November.
Additional materials and live zoom Q&A's will also be provided. In total,
there will be around 6-7 videos and mentorship sessions during the program.
Additionally, there will also be optional live zoom sessions from people
working in UC Berkeley's Financial Aid Office, Undergraduate Admissions,
and current students.

The program is intended for seniors at BHS who are first generation, low
income- students of color without a ton of resources to navigate this
process.

Please register if this is something that you are interested in. We have a
decent amount of spots (35+), and the mentors are super flexible and
looking forward to working with you and your schedule!

For more information see the attached flyer, our promo video, the linked
registration form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdDH9TqrO9pGrAkET7Hx-hrxCs36fi5tFjp_u4DNIJLeHhYCw/viewform?usp=send_form>,
or visit the MRRC website at mixedatberkeley.com.
<http://www.mixedatberkeley.com/>

If anyone is interested in submitting an announcement this year, there are
some basic guidelines to follow:

Here are the basic guidelines for submitting a bulletin:

1. It must be relevant to roughly 100 or more students or staff members.

2. It must be a message that promotes community and builds up positive
school culture.

3. Please no birthday announcements or personal requests.

Please submit your morning announcement to the Google From:
http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin

BHS Website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

Follow @juicethejackets  <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>

Student Bulletin Archive <http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>

Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>

------------------------------------

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

To *subscribe* to the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: subscribe