[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Short Distance Learning Update from BHS, Apr. 27 (Mon)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Apr 27 18:33:53 PDT 2020

PLEASE do not reply to this email.

Good evening BHS families!

I hope you are well as we continue to shelter-in-place for the near
future.  I also deeply appreciate the kind words and well wishes that many
of you sent after receiving my news last week - thank you so much.

As we continue to learn how to best "do" distance learning and note how it
is working for students and families, I want to provide a few updates for
this week.

*1) Teachers have been asked to use our Illuminate attendance tracking
system once a week to track student engagement in distance learning. *
Teachers will do this by Monday evening to reflect back on each student's
effort in their courses during the previous week.  Each Tuesday, you can
see your child's status by checking attendance on Illuminate like you
always have.  (There should be no attendance robo-calls to your home.)
Administrators will also get a report showing teacher completion of the
tracker and flagging concerns in student engagement for further follow-up.

The attendance marks we are using signify the following:

UNV indicates that a teacher is seeing little or no evidence of full
engagement from a student (turning in work, attending office hours,
comments in google classroom, flipgrid posts, etc.).

TAR indicates that the student has done something that week but the teacher
has some cause for concern.

PRESENT (no mark) indicates that the teacher has evidence of engagement and
the student is doing fine.

*2) Input and surveys:*  BUSD created a survey for students about their
experience with distance learning and we are expecting a report on those
response at the end of this week.  Also, hopefully you noted in the
Superintendent's message last Friday that there will be another Town Hall
this week on Wednesday, April 29th, at 6:30 pm.  Details will be posted on
the district website at www.berkeleyschools.net and will also be sent via
email.

*3) Zoom usage: * Zoom continues to be our preference for video
conferencing and we are eagerly awaiting word that we can return to using
it.  After a major update this morning and some ongoing testing, we are
hoping to be back on Zoom next week.  More info to come as we receive it
from the district.

I'm attempting not to overload you with emails and information, so I shall
stop here for now.  Please reach out to me or to your student's Vice
Principal with any questions or concerns.

Thank you!

Erin

_____________________________

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions about the E-tree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

BHS E-tree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*.  The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom
of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators
at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*