[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Closure Update - March 16 (Mon)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Mar 16 16:46:29 PDT 2020

PLEASE do not reply to this email.

March 16, 2020

Good afternoon students, families, and staff.  I am certain that many of
you share the strong sense of surrealism I feel as we watch the news change
hour by hour these days.  This afternoon’s shelter in place news
<https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-politics/article/Bay-Area-must-shelter-in-place-Only-15135014.php>
has affected many parts of our evolving plans around BHS’ current closure.
Please see below for several updates.

I am committed to communicating with you all throughout our closure,
especially in this first week.  Please check your emails, and feel free to
forward this to anyone who may be missing these communications.  Students,
see the end of the message for how to make sure you are on your class
distribution list if you are not getting this directly.

Take good care of yourselves and each other, and stay tuned.

Ms. Schweng

*Technology update*

Because of the Shelter in Place order this afternoon, our plan to
distribute Chromebooks to students on Wednesday afternoon must be
postponed.  As soon as we are able to have a safe and sanctioned way to
distribute, we will do so.  Students, the earlier technology survey is here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfAOs9uo6lx7iV_-tIZpja9ZGyOVwkATgdScQZYtzCkckKbEw/viewform?usp=sf_link>
and will help us plan, so please fill it out if you have not already done
so.

*Free Internet resources/Network Information* here
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vR7IDa3L2WehamV76LIqHaxk18J1tYEL/view>.

This information can also be found on the Berkeley High School home page
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>.

*Course Scheduling (for 2020-21 School Year)*

All BHS 9th, 10th, and 11th graders should continuously check their student
emails for instructions regarding their course requests and Small Learning
Community (SLC) lottery assignments (if applicable).  All scheduling and
communication will likely need to be completed online, but Administrators
and Counselors will be available via email.

*Course Withdrawal Requests*

The original deadline to drop a course with a “W” on your transcript was
Tuesday, March 18th - afterwards it would be dropped with an “F” on your
transcript.  We will extend this deadline: if you need to submit a request
to drop a course, please contact your School Counselor via email
immediately but no later than Tuesday April 7th.

*Volunteerism/Donations*

Thank you to the many, many students and adults who are volunteering time,
financial resources, and goods and services right now.  We will continue to
coordinate with BUSD and the Berkeley Schools Fund.  For now, the Shelter
in Place order will slow these efforts, but stay tuned.

*Health Center*

During the Shelter in Place order, the Health Center at BHS will remain
closed.  We will let you know as soon as we have any updates about
reopening.

*TESTING UPDATES*

*State SBA testing:* We are working with the California Department of
Education to determine how school closures will impact state Smarter
Balanced Assessment (SBA) testing. We will share details as we learn more
information.

*ELPAC:* The state has given an extension to complete English Language
Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC); the adjustment window will
depend on the length of school closure.  Ms. Maaze will continue to
coordinate on this assessment.

*IB assessments:* We are working with the International Baccalaureate
Organization (IBO) on how school closures impact our assessments.  The IBO
has granted us extensions on Internal Assessments (IAs).  IAs will now be
due to teachers by May 1, 2020; World Language oral exams will be completed
once students are back at Berkeley High.  There is no expectation that
students are working on their IAs right now; your top priority is to stay
safe and practice social distancing.  Mr. Clegg will be sending up
additional messages later about IAs and IB exams as we have new
information, as this is an evolving situation.

*Advanced Placement (AP) testing:* At this time we are planning for AP
testing as scheduled unless directed differently by the College Board.

The AP Program is developing resources to help schools support student
learning during extended closures, as well as a solution that would allow
students to test at home, depending on the situation in May.

The College Board will announce portfolio submission deadline extensions
for AP 2-D Art and Design, 3-D Art and Design, Computer Science Principles,
Drawing, Research, and Seminar courses by March 20.  We will share more
details as we learn more information. Here
<https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update>
is the latest news from the College Board website as of this afternoon.

*SATs and ACTs:* College Board has cancelled May SATs and April ACTs.  We
still have openings in the June SAT, so please sign up directly with the
College Board.  We are unable to limit sign-ups to just BHS students, so
instead are encouraging our students to sign up as quickly as possible.

*ATHLETICS UPDATE*

Berkeley High School Athletics is closed through Spring Break.  There are
no practices, games or access to facilities until we resume normal
operations.  Athletic Directors will respond to messages as they can during
the period of closure.  If you need up-to-date information, please visit
our WEBSITE <https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/home>.

*STUDENTS: Not getting these emails?*

If someone is forwarding you these because you are not getting them, here’s
what to do:

   1. First, search your messages to see if they are being filtered out -
   change the class year if necessary.  "
   ybhs-classof-2021-students at berkeley.net
   <ybhs-classof-2021-students at berkeley.net?subject=>"
   2. Nothing there?  Email mattalbinson at berkeley.net
   <mattalbinson at berkeley.net?subject=> and request to be added to the list.
   3. Found some mail to that group? You must be filtering the messages
   from this list.
   4. Go to the "Gear" icon on this page and choose "Settings".
   5. Next choose "Filters and Blocked Addresses"
   6. Search for the filter that is blocking your class group and remove it!

_____________________________

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions about the E-tree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

BHS E-tree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*.  The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom
of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators
at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*