[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Feb. 11 (Tue.) Afternoon Update from BHS

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Feb 11 16:01:10 PST 2020

Please do not reply to this email.

Good afternoon BHS families,

Students are dismissing after a calm afternoon at BHS.  The students who
marched to the district office were able to speak to the Superintendent and
Associate Superintendent in the Board Conference Room, and they arrived
back to the park around lunch time.  Some stayed there through 4th period,
and by that time students were either in classes or off campus.

Here is a note from our Dean of Attendance about clearing absences these
past days: To excuse your student’s participation in the walkouts for
either 2/10 or 2/11, please contact the attendance office within 5 days of
the absence.  The attendance office will code the absence UXO, which means
unexcused other, but does not count towards truancy. It’s the best code we
can use for events like a walkout given our constraints by California law.
Please email Ms. Watson, Dean of Attendance, with any further questions or
concerns. Thank you!

I am working on a message to students that I will share with them shortly,
and then a longer message to families than I have been able to include in
these updates.  The Superintendent will also be sending out a message to
everyone later this afternoon.

I am not aware of any planned actions tomorrow.  I know that for many
students and teachers there is both a longing to get back into our routines
AND a fear that doing so means that we are sweeping issues of sexual
assault and harm under the rug.  I want to communicate as clearly as
possible that is not the case. Our admin team is committed to continuing
the work necessary to create a campus climate such that students do not
feel the ways they have expressed this week and last.  We can't do that on
our own, and so I deeply appreciate the offers for support, help, and
dialogue going forward.

Thank you,

Erin Principal, BHS

------------------------------------

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

To *subscribe* to the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: subscribe