[BHS Etree] BUSD: Opportunities to Support BUSD Sustainability and Zero Waste Goals

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Jan 10 10:53:56 PST 2019

PLEASE do not reply to this email; contact Susan Silber, susan at norcalresilience.org<mailto:susan at norcalresilience.org>

In November the School Board voted unanimously to approve a comprehensive BUSD Sustainability Plan. Susan Silber, a Berkeley parent advocate and sustainability consultant working with the District, is organizing a District-meeting with both BUSD staff and parents to jumpstart efforts to reduce waste throughout the District from now until June.

Invitation to Support BUSD Sustainability and Zero Waste

Dear BUSD Community:

We are excited first to announce the passage of the BUSD Sustainability Plan<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YDPygq8bcqmCUyeD4XWxFw4j6TPdSQx7>, a comprehensive effort to support sustainability through both facilities and curriculum. The Facilities Department and Sustainability Consultant are beginning these efforts by organizing activities dedicated to waste reduction.

Kick-off Meeting on Feb. 5th: We are inviting the teachers, parents and other BUSD community members to a kick-off meeting, tentatively set for February 5th. The meeting is intended to provide participants with tools and guidance for leading a zero waste campaign at your school for the duration of the school year and beyond.

Fill out our form for more information: Whether you are part of an existing Green Team or want to now get involved in efforts, please fill out this form <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfDc9LTQLsjxkV1UaS94C8Tk_an-vTeSoWI-y_vEuGSTCOLqA/viewform?usp=sf_link> so that we can provide you with more information about the meeting and campaign. You can direct any questions to Sustainability Consultant Susan Silber: sustainability at berkeley.net<mailto:sustainability at berkeley.net>.

Our Program Goals:
·  Support classroom and lunchroom sorting (composting, bottles/cans, paper, landfill) with a distribution of all needed infrastructure (bins and signage) and training
·  Support a culture of sustainability and zero waste, with students and BUSD staff inspired to reduce, reuse, recycle and rot.

Sustainability Plan staff are eager to support your efforts through our training throughout the remainder of the school year. We are excited to help the the BUSD community and beyond save money, save natural resources, inspire students to learn about respecting the planet and help address the climate crisis.

Alarming Facts about waste:
·  Around 9 million tons of plastic trash ends up in the ocean every year, which can take up to 1,000 years to decompose.
·  Every time we throw food into the landfill, it emits methane, a potent greenhouse gas which is 30-50 more potent than carbon dioxide.

About the Sustainability Plan: The Plan is a comprehensive effort to to reduce the environmental footprint of schools and promote environmental literacy, which we believe are fundamental to a high-quality 21st century education. The Plan will have numerous co-benefits in addition to addressing the urgency of climate change, from saving money to supporting students’ social and emotional learning through increased hands-on and nature-based opportunities. If you have questions about solar, transportation, outdoor education or other issues related to the Sustainability Plan that are not related to waste, you may direct them to BUSD Maintenance Manager Steve Collins: stephencollins at berkeley.ne<mailto:stephencollins at berkeley.net>

Susan Silber

Founder and director, NorCal Resilience Network<http://norcalresilience.org/>
Sustainability Consultant with Berkeley Unified School District

Nicole Chee, Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Jenny Fosket, and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD 2018-2019 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1819
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe. The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.