[BHS Etree] COLLEGE/CAREER: Summer programs

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Jan 17 10:50:57 PST 2018

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mary Jacobs, maryjacobs at berkeley.net<mailto:maryjacobs at berkeley.net>

It is not too early to think about summer plans...

1. CHORI Summer Student Research Program
Contact: Ellen B. Fung, PhD RD
Co-Director CHORI Summer Program
UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital, Oakland

Who do we serve? Underrepresented Students interested in STEM

Every summer we are privileged to work with 60 talented high school and undergraduate students interested in STEM. These students are given the chance to develop their own scientific research project and work along side practicing scientists at a nationally ranked institution. For the 37th continuous year, we are seeking these talented young students again.

Applications for the CHORI summer student research program are

due on Friday, February 9th.

Application information can be found at this link:

http://www.chori.org/Education/Summer_Internship_Program/funded_unfunded.html

We also have a new video to highlight the program:

https://vimeo.com/249454445

2. SIMR: Stanford Institutes of Medicine

Summer Research Program at Stanford for current high school juniors and seniors as of Spring 2018

June 11 - August 2, 2018

Application Deadline: Feb. 24, 2018

Please check our website for more information:

simr.stanford.edu<http://simr.stanford.edu/>

3. SIMR’s Bioengineering Internship exposes high school students to the

intersection of design thinking and engineering skills to create solutions

for medical problems. While attending faculty lectures, student teams

identify real-world clinical needs and use patient-centered design to

create prototypes.

STANFORD UNIVERSITY

SUMMER 2018: June 11-August 2,2018

simr.stanford.edu<http://simr.stanford.edu/>

4. Level Playing Field Institute Summer Smash Program

For 1st gen, or low-income (eligible for free/reduced lunch), or certain under-represented minority groups:

http://www.lpfi.org/programs/smash/

5-week STEM summer intensives at UC Berkeley, UC Davis and Stanford
- Seek students who are strong in STEM, can provide two letters of rec and write a 500-word essay about current problem in community and how STEM education can help.

Applications due March 1

Useful CCC Links:

College &Career Center Resources: http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/college-career-guide/

College & Career Calendar: http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/college-and-career-center-calendar/

Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2017-2018 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe. The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.