[BHS Etree] BHSDG: January Newsletter

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Jan 17 09:14:14 PST 2018

PLEASE do not reply to this email, Contact Christine Staples: christineannestaples at gmail.com

Happy New Year from the Berkeley High School Development Group!

This month we are starting a new tradition; a monthly newsletter, designed to keep the BHS community informed about the latest BHSDG news.

The Berkeley High School Development Group is a group of parent and student volunteers; our mission is to strengthen the educational experience of every Berkeley High School student. We meet on the first Monday of each month (rescheduled as needed to accommodate holidays and school breaks) from September through June, consider grant proposals and work on ways to raise the funds to support them. Visitors and new members are welcome!

January 2018 Fundraising Updates: Many, many thanks to you all for your generous contributions! So far this year,  we have received a total of $187,000 in donations to the general fund -  a bit behind where we would normally be at this time of year.

In a typical year, BHSDG receives around $500,000 in donations; $250K in gifts to the general fund, and $250K in “restricted” funds (gifts specifically designated for a learning community or program). Most of these are from BHS community members - like you!

Grants Funded So Far This Year: The Development Group accepts grant proposals from all Berkeley High School (BHS), Berkeley Technology Academy (BTA), and Independent Studies (IS) teachers, students, and staff on a monthly basis. (Deadline: 15th of each month for consideration at the next Board meeting.) Students and Staff - if you have a great idea, submit a grant proposal!

Here are some of the grants our all-volunteer Board has approved so far this school year:

After-school Tutoring Program (first semester) - $33,000

School Planners for every student - (BHS, BTA, IS) $20,000

Classroom Grants @ $300 per teacher (BHS, BTA, IS) - $45,000

Brave Spaces: staff education on culturally responsive teaching - $16,000

Choreography Licensing Fee  for fresh dance class moves -$1,200

Sheet Music new sheet music for the Jazz program -$1,500

World AIDS Day Assembly for all students to learn about the AIDS crisis  - $2,365

Teaching Through Storytelling teacher training to reach struggling readers- $500

Dreamers Project Mentorship Program operating expenses - $600

Robotics Team Workshop Supplies - $2,000

IS Programming Power computer program for girls/underserved students - $4,000

Library Chromebooks replacement chromebooks for the library - $4,600

Day of the Dead Visiting Artist to lead class activities - $350

Vagina Monologues operating expenses - $500

Academy of Science Field Trip - $269

College Application and Testing Fees for Students in Need - $8,500

Looking Ahead: Unfortunately, BUSD has not budgeted any funding for computers at Berkeley High. The typical life expectancy for a Chromebook (the cheapest computer available) is about four years. We anticipate an ongoing need to replace computers throughout Berkeley High, and will be working with staff on how best to equitably approach this.

BHSDG is looking for a new Treasurer! Many thanks to Lynnette Orme, who has served for many years on our team. Lynn’s youngest child graduated from Berkeley High several years ago, and she will be moving on at the end of this school year. BHSDG has a paid bookkeeper who fully supports this position. If you are interested, please contact us at: treasurer at bhsdg.org

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Jenny Fosket, and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2017-2018 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe. The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net.