[BHS Etree] ADMIN: We Need You on School Committees!

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Sep 19 10:09:35 PDT 2017

Part of building a strong community includes the participation of parents and guardians on school committees, so that we can make sound decisions on how to focus resources in support of the many programs and initiatives at Berkeley High.

Please consider nominating yourself or another guardian or parent<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdn26tfZsH0N8pUPYgvI8JI4eL2A5-FB6BVN7C3G0UFESFqIA/viewform> for a spot on one of three committees (see descriptions below). We need representation from across our learning communities and a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds. It doesn't matter if you've never served on a committee before, we provide orientation and training!

SSC - School Site Council<http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/information/committees/> - Works with the Principal to review student achievement data and Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) required for accreditation. Additionally, reviews and approves the School Safety Plan and BSEP Site Plan. Meets on Tuesday afternoons, once a month in fall, twice a month in spring. 4 parents, 4 students, 8 staff.

BSEP Site Committee <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/information/committees/> - Reviews BHS programs funded by the Berkeley Schools Excellence Program (BSEP) parcel tax Measure E1's discretionary funds, and considers new proposals to be funded. Meets on Monday afternoons, once a month in fall, up to twice a month in spring. 5 parents, 5 students, 5 staff.

BSEP Planning & Oversight (P&O) Committee<http://www.berkeleyschools.net/departments/bsep/planning-and-oversight-committee/> - Represents BHS on a district-wide committee that reviews plans for class size reduction, teacher support, libraries, technology, community outreach and other programs funded through Measure E1. Meets Tuesday evenings, once a month in fall, twice a month in spring. 4 reps from BHS join 2 from every middle school and 1 from every elementary.

Please fill out the nomination form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdn26tfZsH0N8pUPYgvI8JI4eL2A5-FB6BVN7C3G0UFESFqIA/viewform> before Monday, September 25.
If you have questions about any of these committees, please contact bsep at berkeley.net<mailto:bsep at berkeley.net>

We'll start SSC and BSEP Site Committee elections at Back-to-School night on the 28th of September and conclude by September 30. There will be a ballot box for paper ballots at Back to School and at the front desk, and a link to an online ballot will be sent out on the 28th.

Thank you for your interest! Stay tuned for further announcements about ways to get involved, including the Safety Committee and the PTSA, but for now we really need people to come forward for these committees, which are required by the Education Code and by the BSEP Measure, in order to ensure there is community oversight of our school plans and funds!

Erin Schweng
Principal, Berkeley High School

Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD 2017-2017 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe (The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.) If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/