[BHS Etree] COLLEGE/CAREER: SENIORS: CCC Calendar Sep. 18 to Sep. 22 & Other Resources

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Sep 15 17:32:04 PDT 2017

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mary Jacobs,
maryjacobs at berkeley.net

The staff of the College & Career Center (CCC) values the partnership with
the families of seniors as the students plan for college or career options
after high school. We would like to let you know how we inform students of
the college process and/or other opportunities and resources.

We *send information directly to seniors' school email *address at
berkeley.net.  Please urge your child to open up the student/school
e-mail.  In addition, we send the same information to you, the parents and
guardians, via the e-tree.  The e-tree messages are also re-posted on the
front page of Berkeley High School website.  There are times that the
message is only sent to students, because of network or security
requirement (i.e. google forms).

The advisors or academic counselors will be in seniors' English classes for
a *presentation* on the college application process.

The advisors are available for *drop in questions or advising *before
school, during lunch, and after school until 4:00 PM.  Ms. Aguas and Ms.
Sandberg (former BHS college advisor and academic counselor filling in as
of 9/18/17) are in the CCC, D-221, on Monday- Friday.

*Individual advising appointments or conferences will start in October* using
a Sign Up Genius link sent to the students' e-mail.

You will also *find much information on our CCC website,* including a
*scholarship* spreadsheet with month tabs on the bottom.  Most of the
scholarships still say 2017 because we have not received the new
information yet, but there are 2 current scholarships for October.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gY3jeHg3G4ONMB9UJHwrHMo4t8dH_
b4O6x80Skcj5xw/edit#gid=0

There are also the following *sites with scholarship information*:

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/scholarship-search

http://www.eastbayconsortium.org/scholarship

https://www.fastweb.com/

*For the week of 9/18-22/17 in the CCC:*

*College Visits:*

9/18/17 Late Start Schedule:

Period 1: Miami University, Ohio

Period 2: Bennington College

Period 3: University of San Francisco

Period 4: Wellesley College

9/19/17:

Period 1: Dartmouth College

Period 2: Columbia University

Period 3: St. Lawrence University

Period 5: American University of Paris

Period 6: Bowdoin College

9/20/17:

Period 1: Rice University and Skidmore College

Period 2: University of Vermont

Period 3: Claremont McKenna College

9/21/17:

Period 2: Scripps College

Period 3: University of British Columbia

Period 4: Bates College

Period 6: Whittier College

9/22/17:

Lunch: UC Pre-Med Health Services: UC Pre-Med Partnership/Mentorship
Information Meeting

Period 4: Tufts University

*The college visits change daily, *so please use the master CCC calendar:

http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-
center/college-and-career-center-calendar/

*Essay Readers:*

Volunteer essay readers will be available in the CCC review UC personal
insight questions or Common Application personal statements.  From
brainstorming to tope selection to revision...

Mondays: 9:00-9:50 AM and lunch; Tuesdays-Thursdays: lunch and after
school.

http://bit.ly/BerkeleyHighCollegeEssays

http://facebook.com/BerkeleyHighCollegeEssays

*College Information Sessions in SF Bay Area:*

*Vassar College* Information Session: Sunday, September 24, 2017 @
1:30-3:30 PM @ Jewish Community High School, 1835 Ellis St., SF

RSVP at: admissions.vassar.edu/receptions by 9/22

*Tufts*: Who Gets in and Why: Sunday, September 24 @ 2 PM @ SF Marriott
Union Square, 480 Sutter St.

RSVP: http://admissions.tufts.edu/visit/in-your-area/

*Brown University*: Thursday, October 19 @ 7:15 PM @ College Preparatory
School, 6100 Broadway, Oakland

*Mentorship:*

*UC Berkeley Raíces Recruitment and Retention Center (previously named
RAZA)* will be hosting the 10th annual HYPHEE: Helping Youth Pursue Higher
Education Early program to help high school seniors with the college
application process by pairing them with UC Berkeley students. H.Y.P.H.E.E
is an 8-week long mentorship program that provides guidance for completing
the UC and/or CSU applications. All meetings will take place at the UC
Berkeley campus. Lunch/light snacks and drinks will be provided at each
meeting and transportation costs for students using the BART will be
covered one-way.

​This program is FREE! All that is asked is that students submit an
application before the postmarked deadline of September 28th.The
application merely serves to identify the students so as to pair them
adequately with their mentor. Applications received by deadline are
prioritized to be accepted. Our program is geared towards students who
would otherwise not have access to help with their personal insight
questions or for students who have yet to begin the writing process.

Mandatory Orientation on Sunday, October 1st from 1 to 2pm

Mandatory Attendance to Five of Six Application Meetings:

Sunday, Oct. 8th 11 am - 2 pm

Sunday, Oct. 15th 11 am - 2 pm

Sunday, Oct. 22nd 11 am - 2 pm

Sunday, Oct. 29th 11 am - 2 pm

Sunday, Nov. 5th 11 am - 2 pm

Sunday, Nov. 12th 11 am - 2 pm

HYPHEE Banquet on Sunday, Nov 19th (time to be determined - most likely in
evening)

​Link to apply: https://tinyurl.com/HYPHEE2017Mentee​

*Internship:*

*Youth** Spirit Artworks* is a paid art internship and job readiness
training program for homeless, low-income, and at-risk youth and young
adults between the ages of 16 and 25 who either reside or attend school
within Berkeley and neighboring communities.

The Fall 2017 program is from 4:15pm-6:30pm.  Participants receive a
monthly stipend starting at $150 per month after attending an average of 3
sessions per week (or 6.75 hours per week), completing assigned art
projects, and attending Youth Empowerment Meetings on Fridays. Youth also
earn commission from selling their artwork.

Participants learn art, entrepreneurial, leadership, and job-readiness
skills through art lessons, program activities, and events.  In addition,
participants also receive employment, education, and personal support from
the social work case manager as needed.

Individuals who are interested in signing up can stop by our studio (1740
Alcatraz Ave, Berkeley) during program hours and speak with JR, the Program
Coordinator.

Website: www.youthspiritartworks.org

*Useful CCC Links:*

College &Career Center Resources:
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-cent
er/college-career-guide/

College & Career Calendar:

http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-cent
er/college-and-career-center-calendar/

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators
of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at
bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2017-2018 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe*. The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/

word only in the subject line: *subscribe*