[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, w/Special Mid-Day Announcements, May 31 (Wed)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed May 31 12:26:38 PDT 2017

Announcements are put together in the BHS Main Office, by Felicia Phillips feliciaphillips at berkeley.net<mailto:feliciaphillips at berkeley.net>. For those of you who do not hear the announcements where you are during second period, or if you would like to read them each day, you can find them in the Daily Bulletin section of Powerschool.

Special mid-day announcements made by students Amber Lee, Miles Kelekian and Principal Erin Schweng.

Good afternoon Berkeley High and Happy Wednesday! My name is Amber Lee and quickly before we go off to lunch, the administration and the student leadership team are here together to share our response to the events that happened Friday which influenced the administration's decision to cancel spirit week. The executive leadership team and the administration came together yesterday to meet and discuss the concerns and frustrations of both students and adults. As the leadership team came on strong, stern, and passionate about our beliefs, so did the administration. During the conclusion of our meeting, we felt it to be necessary to let the school know that we stand by the administration and their decision. Ms. Schweng and her team work incredibly hard to make sure all students are safe, have a great rigorous academic curriculum, and that all students have fun. Just like us students, they are people who care, and have feelings. As we walk around the school we should be more appreciative for what they do for us and not focus only on the things we "don't like." Don't hate them because they don't hate you. Next time you hear something they did that you didn't like, reach out to one of them. Have a conversation. Make a connection. As a first step to the student body and leadership team working together with the administration, we have created a "courtyard concert and cookout" for everyone to attend this Friday at lunch. In conclusion, I have come to say that we should build relationships with adults on campus and always look for positive parts in every situation.

Hi everyone, and thank you Amber, this is Ms. Schweng. I know that there was a lot of frustration and definitely a wish for earlier communication about the decision to cancel events relating to Spirit Week this week. The admin team was seriously concerned about the actions relating to last Friday's dare game and we sincerely hope to not have any repeats of that behavior. However, we also recognize that most students were not in fact participating in those activities, and that it is really frustrating to lose out on something fun for everyone as a result. In our conversations with student leadership yesterday, we worked together to create the Courtyard Cookout that Amber mentioned at the beginning of this announcement. We will be serving some simple food and spending positive time together as a school community, and Miles is going to talk about what those things will be in a second. I hope to see you out on the courtyard on Friday, and I want to give a big appreciation to your student leadership for continuing to advocate for events that will lead to a more positive school culture for us all.

Thanks Ms. Schweng. What's up Berkeley High, this is Miles Kelekian here with some more info on Friday's lunchtime activities and school spirit. As Amber mentioned, ASB leadership has worked together with the Administration Team to create a Barbecue & Concert event during lunchtime on Friday in the main courtyard. Local rapper C5 will be joining us to perform live on the steps, and hot dogs and other food will be grilled and handed out on campus. ASB Leadership will also be giving out various accessories and some awesome Berkeley High swag at that time. This event will be a celebration of our school spirit and a great opportunity for students and staff to come together and enjoy a beautiful afternoon in the courtyard. Please remember that everyone is, of course, expected to follow school rules throughout the entirety of the week. The lunchtime barbecue and concert is not a setting for disrespectful behavior, and Friday's activities are not an excuse for harmful actions by any individual. This event is a great opportunity to have fun and show off your school spirit, both of which can be done without acting in a manner that is destructive to the Berkeley High community. Jacket pride is about unifying behind our differences, and acknowledging that we are each a part of something bigger than ourselves. This school stands as a vision. One that demonstrates the power that such a diverse community can have when its individuals coalesce to work together, for something that will remain a part of this campus well beyond each of our own years here. Please keep that in mind when you represent the Berkeley High community. Have a great rest of your week Berkeley High, see you Friday, and GO JACKETS!
_______________________________
Lunchtime Activities This Week
Students: Join your ASB student leadership team for the following events:

Wednesday: Let's break the world record for country line dancing in the courtyard!

Thursday: Free bike repair and smoothies (using the Bike Blender) in the courtyard

Friday: Concert and Dance Party in the courtyard, plus something new!
________________________________
Buy Your Yearbook Today!
The BHS Yearbook is rolling through the printer presses as we speak. There are fewer two hundred yearbooks available for purchase, so don't wait! Get your copy today! There are two ways you can purchase it: drop by Room C-327 at the beginning of 7th period to pay with cash or a check made out to Berkeley High Yearbook. Or you can buy your yearbook online at www.yearbookordercenter.com<http://www.yearbookordercenter.com/> using the code 16356. Yearbooks cost $80, but are discounted at $65 for students who qualify for free and reduced lunch.

Students can pick up their yearbooks in the Theater Hallway (otherwise known as the "Senior Steps") beginning Monday, June 12th at 12:45.
Jazz Concerts Next Week
Come hear and support your talented BHS Jazz classmates at their end of the year concerts! Exciting evenings of live music from the Two O'clock, Three O'clock and Four O'clock Bands (on Thursday, June 8) and the award winning BHS Jazz Ensemble (on Friday, June 9) promise to lift and inspire and kick off the Summer with swing! Both concerts start at 7 PM in the Little Theater. All are welcome! Students and BUSD faculty free, others $10.
Summer PE Waivers
The Attendance Office is now distributing Summer 2017 PE Waiver forms. The first portion of the waiver process is due back to the Attendance Office on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 by 4:00 pm. No exceptions will be made for missed deadlines.

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy