[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Serious Incident, December 1, 2016

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Dec 2 12:07:47 PST 2016

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Sam Pasarow sampasarow at berkeley.net<mailto:sampasarow at berkeley.net>

Dear Families,

We are writing to provide information around some serious and stressful incidents that occurred here on campus yesterday. We want to provide you with accurate, up to date information and to also dispel any rumors in our community.

Yesterday, December 1st, six Berkeley High students were found to have eaten marijuana edibles here on campus. Two of these students became ill and had to be transported to the hospital. While all of the students are now fine, we take this incident and all incidents involving controlled substances on our campus seriously. This investigation is ongoing at this time and does involve cooperation with local law enforcement.

We are also working hard to educate our students about the potential dangers involved in using drugs and alcohol. We ask that you also reinforce these messages by reminding your student(s) that they should never accept food or "edibles" from other students without knowing their origin. Edible products are particularly dangerous as they can include a range of substances and unclear dosages and drug potency.

The BHS administration also hopes that guardians and parents will reinforce the idea that being under the influence of drugs or alcohol at school is never okay and also unsafe. Finally, there are resources at BHS for students who are dealing with substance-use issues -- either their own or their peers -- in our On Campus Intervention office as well as our Health Center. Please contact Dean of Students Kiernan Rok for further information or support: 510-644-6675<tel:%28510%29%20644-6675>.

We also wanted to address a rumor of a student involved in this incident possessing a gun yesterday. This is incorrect information -- a student was in possession a BB gun but not an actual firearm. Because a BB gun is a dangerous object and has no place in a school, it was confiscated and will lead to serious disciplinary consequences.

The BHS administration takes the safety of our students very seriously and will continue to work hard to ensure that our communication with families is timely and accurate.

Thank you for your attention and please talk about this with your student this weekend.

Sam Pasarow
Principal

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/