[BHS Etree] PTSA: PTA Council Meeting on Homework Policy, Nov. 28 (Mon)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Nov 22 11:48:11 PST 2016

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Maria Rohlsson, BHS PTSA President mariarohlsson at sbcglobal.net<mailto:mariarohlsson at sbcglobal.net>

How does homework affect your student's life?

Berkeley PTA Council, the umbrella organization for all of the PTA units in our district, will hold their next meeting on Monday, November 28th from 6:30-8:00 pm in room 126 at 2020 Bonar Street. Pizza and drinks will be served. Our topic will be: District Homework Policy - where are we now, and what's next? We will be joined by special guest Jen Corn, Principal of Thousand Oaks Elementary. All are welcome to attend.

Policy Updates: BUSD homework policy currently leaves all homework decisions up to the discretion of each individual teacher. Last Spring, Council hosted a conversation about the effects of this policy; homework emerged as a serious issue for all ages and all sub-groups of students, and as an important equity issue. I am happy to report that there has been some important work accomplished since then.

After last Spring's Council meeting, Thousand Oaks PTA leaders Karen Tompkins and Tatiana Guerrero-Ramos went to Principal Jen Corn to talk about homework policy at Thousand Oaks. Things rolled forward very smoothly after that; a survey for all staff and parents was crafted and conducted, outreach meetings sharing current research were conducted, and ultimately, a new school policy, which was rolled out this school year. Here is a link to their new policy on the Thousand Oaks PTA website:

http://to.berkeleypta.org/2016/09/06/homework-policy-update/

Meanwhile, across town, Rosa Parks also rolled out a new policy. (Unfortunately, we do not have a copy of it to share.)

How can we help shape homework policy throughout our district in a way which benefits all of our students? Join the conversation!

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/