[BHS Etree] DONATIONS: Giving to Berkeley High

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Oct 31 16:50:05 PDT 2016

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Christine Staples, christineannestaples at gmail.com<mailto:christineannestaples at gmail.com>

There are many ways to support Berkeley High School, and this time of year brings a number of requests for donations heading your way. We wanted to clarify a few of them and thank you in advance for your support.

The Berkeley High School Development Group, now in its 26th year, is the primary fundraising and grant-giving organization for the high school and is run by an all-volunteer group of BHS parents. We accept tax deductible donations that are either 'unrestricted' or 'restricted' through the on-line donate button on www.bhsdg.org<http://www.bhsdg.org/> or by check to our PO Box 519, Berkeley, CA 94701. General donations (unrestricted) to BHSDG are granted back to the school by our Board based on needs identified by BHS administration, teachers and students through a grant request process. This includes large grants for our free after-school tutoring program, teacher supplies, drug/alcohol education, college and career services, and many more. "Restricted" means that the donation is designated for a department or learning community (AHA, AMPS, BIHS, AC, CAS), and the teacher and parent leaders of that learning community determine how to spend those funds. BHSDG acts as their "bank" free of charge. More than 94% of money raised through BHSDG goes directly to support students.

BHSDG's Annual Report will be mailed to all BHS families next week with an appeal for contributions for the 2016-17 school year. You may also be receiving funding requests from Learning Communities at this time. Please know that you can designate a donation to both unrestricted and restricted funds at the same time, simply by designation how much you would like to go to each.

The Berkeley Athletic Fund (http://www.berkeleyathleticfund.net/) supports the athletic and academic success of BHS students. They manage their donations separately from BHSDG, yet partner with BHSDG on larger ticket items to benefit BHS.

The Berkeley Public Schools Fund (https://www.berkeleypublicschoolsfund.org/) provides classroom and districtwide grants and teacher supports for BUSD K-12 and are a separate educational foundation with whom BHSDG partners as well.

Many thanks to you, our generous Berkeley High School community!

Jennifer Villeneuve & Christine Staples
BHSDG Co-Presidents
info at bhsdg.org<mailto:info at bhsdg.org>

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/