[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Car Accident on MLK Jr. Way This Afternoon, June 9, 2016

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Jun 9 17:21:07 PDT 2016

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Sam Pasarow sampasarow at berkeley.net <mailto:sampasarow at berkeley.net>

Dear Berkeley High Community,

Shortly before the end of school today, a Berkeley High student was driving on Bancroft and Martin Luther King Jr. Way. The student lost control of the car, and it struck several parked cars on the eastern side of MLK Jr. Way.

In one of the parked cars was another student, who was taken to the hospital with possible injuries. Berkeley Police Officers responded to the scene immediately and the Berkeley High School Health Center provided medical care for the student who was in the parked car at the time of the collisions.

The Senior Streak, a tradition in which twelfth graders run across our campus naked, happened minutes before the car accident. This raises the question about whether the disruption caused by the Senior Streak and other year-end traditions may sometimes give rise to reckless behaviors.

While exhibiting occasional bad judgment characterizes the teenage experience in general, I do wonder about the Senior Streak’s negative impact on school culture and the recklessness that ensued this afternoon.

At this time of year, there is a great deal of joyous exuberance, but when this is not coupled with mindfulness, people get hurt. I want to take a moment to remind all families and students to please prioritize safety, and be aware of the potential serious consequences of unbridled revelry. I am grateful no one was seriously injured or killed in today's incident.

There have been--and will be--many festivities at this time of year. Please take the occasion not only to congratulate and celebrate, but also to affirm that with important rites of passage come the responsibility for making the right choices and caring for the welfare of those around you.

Thank you for your attention and,

Good Evening,

Sam Pasarow
Principal