[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, April 15 (Fri)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Apr 15 14:27:00 PDT 2016

Announcements are put together in the BHS Main Office, by Claudia Hernandez Claudiahernandez at berkeley.net<mailto:Claudiahernandez at berkeley.net> and Victoria Session victoriasession at berkeley.net<mailto:victoriasession at berkeley.net>. For those of you who do not hear the announcements where you are during second period, or if you would like to read them each day, you can find them in the Daily Bulletin section of Powerschool.

Berkeley High School Bulletin for Friday, April 15, 2016

At the top of today's announcements is Principal Pasarow with the positive shout outs.

Today's first shout out is from Samantha Borg and goes to Safety Officer Raul Garcia and Custodian Jeff Rindell, "Raul and Jeff always work hard for us in the M building. They keep us tidy and safe and they interact really well with all students. They make our lives easier!"

Our next shout out is from Max Wheeler and Yoshi Salaveri, aimed at Dagny Dingman, "We are shouting you out Dagny for almost two years of guidance as our BTSA (Beginning Teacher Support Assessment) mentor. Thank you for all your great advice and encouragement, and for always keeping students at the center of the discussion!"

The next shout out comes from Safety Officer Johnna Quist and goes to a long list of the cast of SOS performance: Safety Officers Eric Riley, Steven Saunders, Rashad Andrews, Teachers Max Wheeler and Ashley Daly, Ms. Jasdeep Mahli as well as our Maintenance Engineer James Thompkins---Johnna shouts you out for your excellent performances in the SOS play."

I wanted to provide today's final shout out to campus gardener James Wilson, "James, your hand got pretty badly injured while on the job last week and you took it like a champ and reported to work the next day. Our grounds are beautiful and I commend your dedication to Berkeley High."

________________________________

Today is the Day of Silence

Today is the Day of Silence, a national event with the purpose of bringing attention to LGBTQ+ issues in schools. Many students on campus today have taken a vow of silence to reflect the silencing effect of bullying and harassment. During 4th and 5th periods, the BHS Gay Straight Alliance will host panel discussions in the Little Theater to increase awareness about LGBTQ+ issues. And at the end of today, there will be a scream on the Senior Steps to break the silence.
________________________________

BHS Cheerleading Tryouts!

Students interested in trying out for the BHS Cheerleading who need to clear their athletic packets can do so today after school until 5:00. Tryouts begin on Monday.
________________________________

Jacket Players Represent at NorCal All Star Basketball Game

Get Sports Focus and Pass the Ball hosted the 2016 NORCAL ELITE Basketball game on Saturday, April 9, at Gunn High School in Palo Alto. All star senior players from Santa Cruz to Oakland were selected, and Berkeley High represented. Congratulations to Taki Brandon from the Lady Jackets team, Niles Malone<https://www.facebook.com/GetSportsFocus/photos/a.171499692895437.39897.150852398293500/1127843610594369/?type=3&theater> and Bryant Monroe from the boys team for being selected as All Stars! Both teams Taki and Niles played with WON, and Niles won the 3-Point Shooting Contest by shooting an "all net" half-court shot!!! It was amazing to watch 2016 Seniors play in their last game before heading off to college.
________________________________

Annual BHS College Fair

All BHS Juniors and their parents/guardians are invited to the Berkeley High School College Fair on Sunday, May 1 from 1:00 pm-3:00 pm. Admission representatives from 50+ colleges, universities, and community colleges will be in the Jacket Gym ready to answer your questions!
________________________________

Field Trip to UC Davis for NSBE Students

If you are interested in attending tomorrow's Engineering Conference at UC Davis, please see Mr. Byndloss in the Counseling Center.
________________________________

Student Video Contest: Ending Mental Health Stigma & Discrimination

The City of Berkeley Mental Health (BMH) Division video contest is a citywide competition for high school and middle school age students in the cities of Berkeley and Albany. The focus of the contest is to educate students about mental health stigma and discrimination and to elicit their support in ending mental health stigma and discrimination. Create a 60-Second Video that expresses your thoughts about how you can help to End Mental Health Stigma and Discrimination and you could win a cash prize of $500. For more information, click https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bys2qylTiT0Vd2EyUWoxZWhzVzNfaDB0NEt6aFZIWF9IeUxJ/view?usp=sharing for the contest flyer. The deadline for submission is Friday, April 22.
________________________________

Congratulations to Latin Students

Berkeley High recently sent ten delegates to the 61st Annual California Junior Classical League Latin Convention in Irvine, CA. Our school received the 3rd Place Chapter Award and 3rd Place Sports Award, and several students earned individual recognition, including: Sasha Barish, Rory Bayer-Nadel, Abdulla Mirz, Amelia Muniz and Raina Pinkosh. Latin scholars, we are proud of your achievements!
________________________________

National Library Week

National Library Week ends soon, so don't forget to celebrate by dropping by the Berkeley High Library anytime this week for a free treat! While you're there, fill in a cartoon and share why libraries matter to you. One randomly selected winner will receive a $10 gift card to Pegasus, one of our local bookstores.

Prom 2016

Tomorrow night hundreds of students will be attending the 2016 Prom at the Scottish Rite Center in Oakland. Here are a few reminders: This is a formal event. Dress should be appropriate and not disruptive. Students who dress in an inappropriate manner will not be admitted.

The BHS Dance Conduct Policy will be strictly enforced. For your safety, any student suspected of being under the influence or in possession of an illegal or controlled substance, either when arriving or during the Prom, will have his/her parents/guardians notified and will be required to leave the premises. Parents/Guardians will be responsible for picking the student up and all school policies/consequences will be enforced.

We look forward to a memorable night.

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/