[BHS Etree] BUSD: Garden & Cooking Program Gala Follow Up

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon May 4 16:22:16 PDT 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Jezra Thompson,
jezrathompson at berkeley.net

Dear Friends of the BUSD School Gardens,

We had a wonderful Second Annual Gala last Friday night
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/17339275681/in/photostream/>. Thank
you so much for joining us! We can't do this work without you. Your
support allows us to continue to teach our kids in our 17 school gardens
about where their food comes from.

If you missed the party, you can check out the fun on the District's
Flickr site
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/17153603369/in/photostream/>, where
you can see the Berkeley High School Jazz Band
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/17132382747/in/photostream/>
and the student film project, the Whole Foods farm-to-table fare
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/16719571533/in/photostream/>, and
folks enjoying craft beers from CaliCraft
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/17132370617/in/photostream/>
and wines from Mendocino Wine Growers
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/17152222580/in/photostream/>.

We asked you to tell us what inspires you about food systems and
education
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/16719370943/in/photostream/>
and you told us that you were inspired by:

“Building healthy habits early in life”

“Kids wanting to learn and being excited”

“It’s the best way to learn science”

“Giving kids the opportunity to create”

Our Journey is ongoing and I’ll be talking with the School Board about
our Program this Wednesday (5/6/15) evening at 7:30. The meeting agenda
is here
<http://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/05-06-15_packetv2.pdf?864d7e&864d7e>.
I hope that you can join me again as we engage our community in the
value of teaching our kids about where their food comes from and
continuing to put Berkeley on the map for innovation in food systems and
education.

In the words of one of our second graders in the school garden,

Peas and carrots,

Jezra Thompson

Program Supervisor

Gardening & Cooking Program

Berkeley Unified School District

510-486-9350

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree
to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a
message, send to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS