[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Quiet School Day Today at Berkeley High

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Apr 29 17:24:51 PDT 2015

Dear BHS Community,

Today we exercised an abundance of caution as we increased safety and
police presence on and around campus in response to reports of possible
confrontations following an incident yesterday after school in which
Berkeley students were at McClymonds High. We are glad to report that
today was quiet with no interruptions to class. I appreciate the staff
and BPD's continued commitment to providing a safe learning environment
for our students.

We issued school discipline consequences to those students who were
involved in the McClymonds incident and are continuing to share
information with school officials in Oakland and other neighboring
school districts to support safety at each other's sites.

We do believe that the safest place for students is on campus at lunch
where teachers and staff are present. If students /do/ choose to go off
campus at lunch, we strongly recommend that they avoid or move away from
gathering crowds.

We will continue to provide heightened safety and Berkeley Police
presence as needed through the end of the year.

We also recommend that families arrange after school pickup on the MLK
side of the school, the west side of campus, as most of the trouble we
have had to manage recently has occurred on the Milvia and Shattuck side
of school.

Students are often our strongest ally and resource for school safety and
we encourage them to report potentially dangerous situations to any
staff member or Berkeley Police. In the event your student is not
comfortable with that, encourage them to alert you, so that you can
notify us immediately. Time is critical in the event that there is a
possible incident about to occur.

We will continue to provide clear communication with the community as is
necessary.

Kristin Glenchur

Principal, Berkeley High School

kristinglenchur at berkeley.net

_________________________________

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree
to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>. To post a
message, send to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS
website:http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/