[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Message from Principal Glenchur

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Apr 29 10:27:54 PDT 2015

Dear Students, Staff, and Families,

In an effort to exercise an abundance of caution today, we are limiting
non-student and visitor entry to campus and recommending that students stay
on campus at lunch today.

We have confirmed reports that a small number of Berkeley students went to
McClymonds High School in Oakland after school yesterday to continue a
personal conflict related to the very large fight that occurred in Berkeley
three weeks ago.

We now have what we believe are credible reports that the group of students
they are fighting with intend to come to Berkeley today either at lunch or
after school.

We are recommending that students stay on campus today at lunch and we ask
teachers and staff to make their rooms available for them to study in and
eat on campus today. If students *do* choose to go off campus at lunch, we
strongly recommend that they avoid or move away from gathering crowds.

We have requested a significant Berkeley Police presence today and no
visitors passes will be issued until further notice. We have been in
contact with the McClymonds administration and have asked that Oakland
staff be present to help identify any of their students.

BHS safety staff and administrators have all been briefed and will be
highly visible on and around campus providing increased levels of
supervision. Additional safety staff have been added and district staff
will also be present on campus throughout the day. Students should be
reminded to report any concerning activity or the presence of any BHS
non-students to staff immediately.

As a precaution, we are recommending that families arrange after school
pickup on the MLK side of the school, the west side of campus, as most of
the trouble we have had to manage recently has occurred on the Milvia and
Shattuck side of school.

Just a reminder to all: school discipline can be issued for incidents which
occur after school or off campus.

As always, we encourage students to avoid conflicts, and to steer clear of
any fights or physical conflicts that occur *around *them. Just being an
observer to a conflict you are not involved with presents both a potential
danger to your own safety and quite often creates unnecessary obstacles for
staff who may need to provide help or assistance to others.

Kristin Glenchur
Principal, Berkeley High School

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message, send to: bhs at lmi.net; BHS
etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS website:
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe*
To *subscribe* to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*