[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Follow up on Friday Fights

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Apr 13 22:57:36 PDT 2015

Today was a quiet day at Berkeley High School both at lunch and after
school. We are continuing to investigate what caused the extensive fighting
which occurred off-campus after school Friday, assess whether there is any
threat that it might continue, and consider the steps we need to take in the
event that it does happen again.

We have already identified several students from other school districts who
were involved.  We have contacted school personnel regarding their behavior,
and we have issued school discipline to the Berkeley students directly
involved in the fighting.

Berkeley Police Department (BPD) will issue citations for any non-students
who are caught on our campus threatening to disturb the peace. We are also
meeting daily with BPD to share information about the people who were
involved in the Friday fights.

I know how unsettling this kind of incident can be for parents, and I hope
you are talking with your students about ways to stay safe by moving away
from fights and gathering crowds. I was very pleased with how my staff
identified the threat potential outside of the campus early last Friday, and
how quickly administrators and safety officers, along with our BPD partners
worked to put together a response to insure a safe dismissal of school.
Friday's incidents were very challenging, and more than we ever want to see
our students exposed to, but because we all worked together we were able to
contain what could have been an even more volatile situation.

I will continue to communicate information as necessary, about steps we are
taking or any concerns that arise, and I assure you that everyone here is
committed to the safety of our students and staff.

Kristin Glenchur

Principal, Berkeley High School

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message,
send to:  <mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe

bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the subject line: subscribe