[BHS Etree] BUSD: Message from the Superintendent

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Nov 4 17:17:17 PST 2014

Dear Berkeley High School Community,

We have made significant strides over several years in improving our school
climate and culture, supporting a positive and productive school spirit,
while working with our faculty and staff to ensure that all students have
access to a high quality academic program. The rally day problems on Friday,
October 24th demonstrate that we have much more work to do.

After debriefing with teachers and the administration following that day, we
have identified several proactive strategies to ensure the safety of
students during certain school events. The strategies include additional
parent presence on campus, more consistent communications around events and
expectations earlier in the fall, and coordination with our school resource
officer and our partners at Berkeley Police Department.

I want to assure you that student safety continues to be our number one
priority.  As professionals, educators, and as parents, we know that our
young people will thrive in a setting in which behavioral expectations are
clear and specific. We also want our students to be engaged in building a
positive school community, and to have opportunities to celebrate school
pride and class unity.

We will continuously work to improve our response to and planning for
comparable situations, and work with site leadership and the student body to
seek alternatives. Our work must produce a long term commitment to shift the
culture toward events that are based on unity and spirit rather than
divisiveness and substance abuse. We must insist that all of us, students,
staff, and community find a more positive and productive way to show school
spirit.

Administrative Team

With the unanticipated medical leave of our interim principal, Ms. Glenchur,
Vice Principals Ashley Milton and Jorge Melgoza have taken on the tremendous
responsibilities of managing the school while also overseeing the
departments and programs for which they also have direct supervisory
responsibilities.

In order to provide the Administrative Team with additional support,
effective immediately, Assistant Superintendent Pasquale Scuderi will be
attending Administrative Team meetings every week on the Berkeley High
campus and be reviewing and providing support for key decisions being made
at the school level until Ms. Glenchur returns after the Thanksgiving break.

Mr. Scuderi will also receive regular Friday morning briefings at BHS from
lead administrators, and help set agendas and monitor progress on our
school-wide writing program, school safety protocols, and communications.

Principal Search

During the next six months I will be focused on the search for a new
principal for Berkeley High School. My goal is to have an offer made to a
new principal in March, with a start date of July 1, 2014. At the December
10th board meeting, we intend to select a search firm experienced in
identifying and recruiting the highest quality school leaders. The firm's
task will be to conduct a national search for Berkeley High's next
principal. The process will begin immediately, and parents, students,
teachers, and staff will be kept informed each step of the way.

We will continue to communicate with you in the weeks and months ahead, and
please let me know of your concerns and suggestions as we work together to
ensure a positive and productive education for every student.

Donald Evans, Ed.D.

superintendentevans at berkeley.net

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message,
send to:  <mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe

bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the subject line: subscribe