[BHS Etree] COLLEGE/CAREER: Job, Volunteer & Contest Opportunities

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Sep 18 15:56:51 PDT 2014

*Job Opportunities*

Join Youth Spirit Artwork's Fall Art Jobs Training program--for ages 16 to
18

Youth Spirit Artworks, the innovative, youth-led art jobs training
non-profit is starting our fall program NOW. Join us either as a drop in
participant anytime or in our stipended 10 hour a week program, climbing
our Progression Ladder. Youth participants create art to sell and also earn
50 percent of the proceeds. We are involved in exciting Community Art
projects, as well. Youth Spirit offers $50 "gift cards" for all homeless
youth or those in "housing transitions" who stop by our art studio and go
through a week-long orientation. Academic credit is additionally
available!! You don't need to love art to have a blast participating in our
open and supportive community. Youth Spirit is located at 1740 Alcatraz
Avenue, in south Berkeley, near Adeline Street, 3 blocks south of Ashby
BART, on the MLK bus line. For more info text: 510-282-0396 or email:
dgibbins at youthspiritartworks.org

Want to be a Tutor? -King Middle School's after school English Language
Learner Tutorial is looking for Spanish bilingual and English-only tutors
who can work from 3:15--4:15 pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays and from
2:15-3:15pm on Wednesdays. This is open to seniors who are ESPECIALLY good
in pre-algebra, algebra and general math and have no sixth period. Pay is
$9.00/hour. Come by the Science Building Room 7 and speak with Akemi.

*Internship Opportunities*
Become our Next Biketopia Intern - Join our team this fall as we prepare
for Biketopia, our annual winter member party and fundraiser. This is a 6-8
hours a week position with a $500 stipend. The Biketopia intern will be
instrumental in the success of this event by helping solicit donations,
providing assistance in setting up, organizing, and wrapping up the
auction, as well as providing general logistics help in preparation for the
event.https://bikeeastbay.org/node/11958

*Volunteer Opportunities*

Shoreline Clean Ups
The International Shoreline Clean Up will take place in Berkeley on
Saturday, September 20, 9-12p.m.

9:00 a.m. Registration and Orientation

·  Everyone is encouraged to start at 9 a.m., registration will close
at 10:30, so get an early start.

·  All groups and individuals unless otherwise informed, should meet at the
Berkeley staging area located behind the Seabreeze Market at the corner of
University and Frontage Rd. Here, everyone needs to sign waivers, receive
safety information, and get directions to the various clean-up locations.

·  We are asking everyone to *bring their own reusable gloves and buckets.* We
do not want to generate more trash doing the clean-up than we actually pick
up! But if you forget, that's okay-- we will give you trash/recycle bags,
pencils, tally cards and a map of the areas we need to clean. Waste
reduction <http://www.cityofberkeley.info/ContentDisplay.aspx?id=71006> plays
an important role in helping to keep the City's shorelines clean and
achieve our Climate Action Plan
<http://www.cityofberkeley.info/ContentDisplay.aspx?id=70996> goals.

·  Noon: Cleanup Ends! At this point, turn in your tally cards at the main
staging area and show us your most unusual items for judging. Each person
who turns in the completed data card will get a coupon for a free meal at
Rubio's. and a ticket to be part of our raffle, which starts by 12:15.
Great Items are donated by local merchants- If you would like to donate,
let us know.

OTHER LOCATIONS

Berkeley coordinates with the cities of Albany
<http://www.albanyca.org/index.aspx?page=16&recordid=5509> and Emeryville
<http://www.ci.emeryville.ca.us/> to clean up the 14 1/2 mile stretch along
the East Bay shoreline.

Join the Emery Bay Coastal Clean-up: Meet 9:00 a.m. at 2333 Powell St.,
Emeryville. Bring sunscreen, hat, closed shoes, gloves, water. Bring your
own bags (or buckets)! Free snacks, and beverages are provided (also gloves
and bags, if you can't bring your own). Prizes from local businesses.
Invite friends, family, co-workers for a fun, feel-good morning. Call
510-596-3795, or email mgreenhut at emeryville.org for more info.

For the Albany Shoreline Clean-up, meet at 9:00 a.m. at the foot of
Buchanan behind the Golden Gate fields race track. Bring rakes or sand
sifters for the small plastic particles in the sand, drinking water,and
gloves. For more information call the Watershed project 510 788-0897.
Groups of 10 or more please pre register. Contact Martha at
Martha at thewatershedproject.org <JULIANNA at thewatershedproject.org>

WAIVERS

Be prepared to sign a waiver for yourself and your children, you cannot
sign a waiver for someone else’s child. Please use these waivers; if you
are bringing children under 18 here to do a cleanup, please have their
parents sign the CHILDREN'S WAIVER
<http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/uploadedFiles/Parks_Rec_Waterfront/Marina/14CHILDS%20WAIVER%20general.pdf>form
for the day of your cleanup. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
We will also have adult and child waivers available on the day of the
Cleanup.

Volunteer @ the Eat Real Festival in Oakland, September 19-21,
2014*http://eatrealfest.com/volunteer-participate/
<http://eatrealfest.com/volunteer-participate/>*

Volunteer for the 2014 San Francisco Green Festival
*The 2014 Festival is 3 days, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, we would love to
have your help on any or all days!  *Past and new volunteers, thank you for
joining us at the sustainability event that celebrates what's working in
our communities and around the world - for people, business and the
environment!  *Create or sign-in to your account and then reserve your
shifts below.  *Volunteers are a critical part of Green Festival. Each
event would not be possible without you. Free access into the festival all
weekend!

*What are the benefits of volunteering? Volunteers who commit to at least
one 4-4.5 hour shift during the festival:*
·         An exclusive volunteer t-shirt.
·         Free/optional memberships to Global Exchange and Green America –
new members only
·         10% discount at the Green America and Global Exchange stores.
·         An amazing networking opportunity and a fun, rewarding
experience!

*A few important things to know about volunteering:*

Age: All volunteers must be 10 years and older. Volunteers from 10 to 16
years old must volunteer with a parent, guardian, or adult over the age of
18 at all times.

*Other Notes:* Volunteers who are hearing impaired, deaf, or handicapped
are encouraged to volunteer. If you have questions or concerns about what
volunteer positions will fit your needs best, please e-mail
*volunteer at greenfestivals.org
<volunteer at greenfestivals.org>*.

*Groups:* If you’d like to bring a group to volunteer, please contact
*volunteer at greenfestivals.org
<volunteer at greenfestivals.org>* to arrange a group volunteer reservation.
Groups slots fill quickly, so the earlier the better!

*Questions or Problems Registering?:* Contact the National Volunteer
Manager by email *volunteer at greenfestivals.org
<volunteer at greenfestivals.org>* or phone 828-333-9415.
*Important Documents for Current Volunteers*: The Volunteer Handbook and
Minor Waiver (for those volunteers who are under 18):

http://greenfestival-sf-2014.greenfestivals.volunteerhub.com/SignIn.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fevents%2findex

 *Career Explorations*
SEPTEMBER FIREFIGHTER CAREER EXPOS

Saturday, September 20, 10:00am- 1:00pm, FCTC Livermore, 526 Commerce Way,
Livermore, CA 94551

In keeping with its mission to recruit, retain, and promote more women to
the Fire Service, the California Fire Fighter Joint Apprenticeship
Committee (CFFJAC) and its Commission to Recruit Women for the Fire Service
encourages interested middle and  high school female students to attend a
September 2014 Firefighter Career Expo. The Expos are free and will be held
on Saturdays at the CFFJAC Firefighter Candidate Testing Centers.

In addition to fire department recruitment information booths, activities
throughout the  day include Candidate Physical Ability Tests
demonstrations, “A Day in the Life of a Fire Fighter” video presentations,
apparatus displays, a barbeque, and much more. The Expos are designed to
welcome and encourage students to enter this rewarding  profession. Please
relay this information to your middle and high school principals. Organized
school programs are also welcome to participate. Students can preregister
and find additional information on the organization’s website,
www.cffjac.org or by phone at 916-648-1717.

If you have any questions regarding this subject, please contact Michelle
Zumot, Education Policy Administrator, Office of the Chief Deputy
Superintendent by phone at 916-323-6920 or by e-mail at mzumot at cde.ca.gov.

 *Contests*

Birds in Nature

2014 Kids’ Bird Art Contest!
Sept 13-Oct 12, 2014, Ages 3-17
Criteria:
1. Artwork must depict bird(s) and habitat that the artist has seen and
visited.
2. Artwork should show the bird in its habitat (representational art) or
visually represent the importance of habitat for birds (abstract).
3. If artwork is representational, it should include at least one
accurately rendered and identifiable bird and one plant that is found in
its habitat. We encourage representation of the habitat as part of the
background of the artwork.

4. Artwork should be original (not copied, traced, or duplicated from
previously published art or photos) and is to be completed by the child
with minimal adult assistance.
5. If photographs are used as a reference, the artist should combine
details seen from several photographs so that no one photograph is copied
exactly. Copies of photographs used as references should be submitted with
the original artwork.
6. Artwork should be accompanied by a statement that includes the name of
the bird and any other species shown, and a few sentences about the bird
and its habitat. The statement should note the conservation status of the
bird (e.g. common, threatened, endangered).
7. Final artwork should be an original work, created with traditional media
such as pencil, crayon, watercolor, scratchboard, or markers. No prints,
copies or digital submissions.
8. Artwork should be created on paper that is at least 8.5 x 11 inches but
the image itself should fit within an 8x10 frame space (leaving a blank
border around the artwork). Winners will be announced on October 14th in
three age categories: ages 3-6, ages 7-11, and ages 12-17.

Prizes such as Exploratorium tickets for 4, and others of similar value,
will be awarded at SFBBO’s Annual Meeting on Saturday, Oct. 18, 2014, at
Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve in Woodside (attendance not required), and
the winning artwork will be featured in SFBBO’s quarterly newsletter, the
Bay Bird Review.

To Apply: Drop off or mail entries by October 12 to SFBBO, 524 Valley Way,
Milpitas, CA.

Limit of one entry per child. All entries become the property of SFBBO, may
be displayed on the SFBBO website, Facebook page, or in other
communications, and will not be returned to the artist. If you have
questions, please call SFBBO at 408-946-6548 or email cfc at sfbbo.org.
Young Worker Safety Poster Contest

Deadline: December 5, 2014

Are you a California teen between 14 and 18? Design a poster highlighting
job safety and health for teens and you could win a cash prize!
Additionally, the first place winning poster will be distributed to schools
and libraries throughout California, and sent out upon request.

One First Prize: $300

One Second Prize: $200

One Third Prize: $100

One $100 prize to the 1st place school.

Your poster may be in any media: pen and ink, collage, paint, photography,
computer, etc.

1.    Create a poster up to 17″ x 22″ in any language with a theme related
to “Safe Jobs for Youth.”

2.    Fill out and sign the Entry/Release Form. All entries must include a
poster and your entry form. Entries must be postmarked or hand delivered no
later than December 5, 2014.

3.    Mail or bring your entry to: Donna Iverson, Labor Occupational Health
Program, UC Berkeley, 2223 Fulton Street, 4th Floor, Berkeley, CA 94720-5120

Registration & Release Form
<http://youngworkers.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2015-Poster-Contest-Registration-Form.pdf>

Rules & Tips
<http://youngworkers.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Poster-Contest-Rules-and-Helpful-Tips.pdf>

Flyer
<http://youngworkers.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2015-YW-Poster-and-PSA-Contests-Flier.pdf>

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe*

To *subscribe* to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*