[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Constructed Response Update

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Mar 25 21:35:01 PDT 2014

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Tamara
Friedmantamarafriedman at berkeley.net <mailto:tamarafriedman at berkeley.net>

Dear Parents, Guardians and Students,

This week we are administering the third Constructed Response writing
task through the Science Department. We wanted to take this opportunity
to revisit the theory of action behind this approach to developing
student literacy skills.

We believe that by increasing the number of opportunities for our
students to participate in formal writing activities in addition to
direct and explicit language instruction, we will begin to see
improvements in student writing across all content areas, on common
assessments and on the CAHSEE. We think this type of instruction is
important for all students, and that it will be particularly valuable
for meeting the needs of our most struggling students

Focusing school-wide on the Constructed Response writing tasks has given
us an opportunity to come together around a shared goal and common
teaching strategies for close reading, annotation and argumentative
writing. Over the course of the year we've seen examples of these
strategies being put into action across the school, from Amy Burke's
persuasive essay writing in IMP to the annotation of text in Susi
Lopez's Spanish for Native Speakers class.  In one class I overheard a
student ask, "oh, you want us to do a 'they say, I say" annotation?", as
though it were standard operating procedure.

Additionally, having ALL of our staff trained in Constructing Meaning
strategies means that we now have a common language to talk about the
explicit instruction of language in all content areas. Constructing
Meaning and Constructed Response are directly related as CM provides the
instructional strategies, tools and techniques to ensure that our
students get better at reading, writing, listening and speaking across
disciplines.

We've learned some important lessons along the way that will help us
make next year's Constructed Response more successful. In the future, we
see the Constructed Response shifting to discipline specific writing,
numeracy related tasks and a variety of modes/genres.

We have greatly appreciated the support from the BHS parent community.
  For each of our Constructed Response assessments, parent volunteers
have played an instrumental role in organizing and distributing our
materials.

-- Dave Stevens, Glenn Wolkenfeld and Tamara Friedman

  --
Tamara Friedman, NBCT

Berkeley High School Professional Development Co Coordinator

Long Term EL Coordinator

(510) 610-7795 <tel:%28510%29%20610-7795>

bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a message, send
to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS
website:http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/ <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*.  To _subscribe_ to the etree, send an email to
bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in
the subject line: *subscribe*.