[BHS Etree] INCOMING FAMILIES: Frequently Asked Questions

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Mar 18 19:23:37 PDT 2014

March 2014

Dear 8th Grade Families:

As a former middle school teacher I know spring semester is the time when
many 8th grade students and their families begin anxiously contemplating and
planning for the sizeable transition to high school.

In an effort to alleviate worries and make the transition to Berkeley High
School a bit smoother, we have put together information we believe is both
relevant and useful for families who will be joining our learning community
next fall.

The information makes a lengthy and perhaps dizzying list, but I encourage
you to take a deep breath and see this document more as a reference than
something you need to completely digest all at once.

Our hope is that you will find useful summaries of the various programs,
services, and policies on our campus; in addition, we hope the contacts we
have included will help you connect directly with those staff members who
are best positioned to address and answer your particular questions and
concerns.

We look forward to welcoming your student at Berkeley High.

With regards,

Pasquale Scuderi

Principal

Berkeley High School

1. What are the next steps in the registration process?

Current BUSD students

Parent meetings have taken place at the each of the three middle schools.

Longfellow, Feb. 19

King, Feb. 26

Willard, March 4

Following the parent meeting, students attended an assembly during the
school day featuring a presentation by a BHS vice principal explaining the
mechanics of the online course signups and the choices each student has for
learning community and course selection.

The following week, BHS counselors will travel to the BUSD middle schools to
help students prioritize their learning communities preferences and choose
their electives for their freshman year. Berkeley High will mail home the
student selections for a final parental review before the student choices
are entered in the lottery.

Next Steps for Non BUSD families

New-to-BUSD Students who have completed the admission process by the end of
February can make course and lottery requests in the BHS Library at 6 p.m.
on the following three different dates. The process will take at least 1.5
hours.

.         March 3              Last name A-L

.         March 10            Last name M-Z

.         March 17            Make up session

If you cannot make your assigned night, we will accommodate you in another
of the three sessions, but please try to attend during your allotted time.
Students will have their choices mailed to them for verification and will
have one week to request any changes by hard copy delivered to Berkeley High
School.

2. When will the lottery take place?

The first round lottery will take place in May.  Families will be notified
of the learning community assignments in mid to late May by a letter sent
directly from the high school, which will include information about the
specifics of their student's assigned community.

All current BUSD middle school students and newly admitted students enrolled
by the end of February enter the BHS lottery at the same time and will be
given the same priority in the BHS lottery.

New to BUSD students who did not complete the admission process by the end
of February will not be included in the first round of the lottery.  There
will be several more lottery rounds following the initial lottery. There is
no final cut off date for enrollment at Berkeley High School.

3. How many learning communities are there?  How do students choose the
learning communities?  How many students get their first choice?

Berkeley High School has five learning communities:

.         Academic Choice (AC);

.         Arts & Humanities Academy (AHA);

.         Academy of Medicine and Public Service (AMPS);

.         Berkeley International High School (BIHS); and,

.         Communication Arts & Sciences (CAS).

AC and BIHS each have 300 students per grade. The other three communities
are smaller with 60 students per grade.

During the spring, when incoming students sign up for courses online, they
are asked to list their choices of learning community in order of
preference. All students must include AC and BIHS in their list of
preferences.  If your student wants one of the smaller learning communities
(AMPS, AHA, or CAS) he or she lists one or all three of the smaller
communities in addition to listing AC and BIHS.

Approximately 89% of students receive their first or second choice.

4. If I already have a student at Berkeley High School can my students be
placed together?

Incoming students who have a current sibling at Berkeley High School will be
placed in the same learning community if the incoming student lists the
sibling's community as their number one choice.  In order to qualify for
sibling preference, siblings must live in the same household and have the
same parent(s).

5. What if my student does not get the learning community that I requested?

All learning community placements are final for the coming academic school
year.  Students are allowed to enter the student lottery again for the
following school year when they register in the spring.  There is no
guarantee that students will be able to switch.

6. What electives can my student take as a freshman?

All freshmen take English, history, math, and science within their learning
community.

If your child qualifies for special education they will be assigned to the
appropriate courses within their learning community.

AC students, in addition to the four standard classes listed above, choose
two other courses from the world language department, physical education, or
art.

AHA, in addition to the four standard classes, take an arts wheel and choose
one other course from world language or PE.

AMPS students, in addition to the four standard classes, take physical
education and choose one other course from world language.

BIHS students, in addition to the four standard classes, take an arts course
of their choice and choose world language or PE.

CAS students, in addition to the four standard classes, choose two other
courses, from the world language department, physical education, or art.

When signing up for classes all students will select two elective choices.
If they are assigned either AMPS or AHA, which have required courses, the
school will automatically put those courses into their schedule.

7. How is math placement determined?

Placement in math is determined by

.         Learning Community Placement

.         Teacher Recommendation

.         Middle School Grades and

.         A placement test

Students at King, Longfellow and Willard students do not take a math
placement test unless they are interested in Honors Math.  The honors math
test for current BUSD students will take place on April 8 at each of the
three middle schools. . For time and location, students should contact their
current math teacher.

All incoming New-to-BUSD 9th grade students must take a general placement
test. Students new to the BUSD will take the test on April 8, 14, or 21 in
the BHS library beginning at 3 p.m. Students who have accommodations should
plan to attend the April 8th date.

Content on the Math Placement Test: the Algebra content covered by the
placement test is the California content standards for Algebra 1 which can
be found online at:   http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/documents/rtqalg1.pdf

Finally, we are asking all current 8th grade math teachers to submit a
placement recommendation for their students. BUSD students receive automatic
recommendations. For New-to-BUSD students, we are requesting the teacher
fill in a short online questionnaire, which can be found online at:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BHS2014, no later than April 21, 2014.

Most students enrolled in AHA, AMPS and CAS will take the integrated math
program. This program begins with IMP 2, IMP 3, and IMP 4.  Students in
Academic Choice and Berkeley International High School enroll in the
geometry sequence and take geometry, algebra 2, and math analysis.  Both
math sequences prepare students for AP level courses in their senior year.
Students in AHA and CAS who test into the honors program may take Honors
Geometry or Honors Algebra 2.

8. What is the Physical Education Requirement?

Students are required to take two years (four semesters) of Physical
Education (PE).  Students may fulfill this requirement by playing on a BHS
sports team. Each season equals one semester. Playing on a BHS sports team
does not require a PE waiver.

9.  What is a PE Waiver?

Each BHS students can request the opportunity to fulfill their physical
education credits off campus with a PE waiver.  To do so, students must
submit an application and prove that the alternative program provides a
minimum of 60 hours/semester that meet state physical standards in a
structured athletic program or is a state-sponsored team sport.   PE waiver
applications are available from the attendance office in the fall and again
at the start of second semester. In addition, Berkeley High School has a
partnership with the Berkeley YMCA where students are able to obtain PE
waivers as well.

10. What world languages are offered at Berkeley High School?  How are
students assigned to a non-beginner level?

There are five world languages offered at Berkeley High School: Spanish,
French, Mandarin, Latin, and Kiswahili.  There is no language placement test
for students who enroll in the beginning level of any of the five languages.
Students who wish to enroll at a level other than beginning must take a
placement test. Longfellow, King, and Willard students currently studying
French or Spanish will be tested by their current teacher. All others should
attend the BHS placement exam on April 19th at 9 a.m. at Berkeley High
School in the M Building (the new building on Milvia). Students will be
directed to the appropriate classrooms when they arrive.

11. How can my student receive help with schoolwork or receive tutoring or
academic support?

Berkeley High teachers are the first resource for academic assistance. Many
offer tutoring for their students before school, at lunch or after school.
Students should check with individual teachers for their tutoring hours.  In
addition to informal tutoring, Berkeley High offers the following programs:

Berkeley High School Teacher Tutorials are available in every academic
subject. Over 40 teachers conduct scheduled tutoring sessions on a weekly
basis Monday - Thursday 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.  The tutorial schedule is updated
each semester and is available on the Berkeley High website.
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/.  The Berkeley High School Development Group
pays for teacher tutorials.

The Learning Center (TLC) is open Monday - Thursday from 3:30 - 6:00 p.m.
for drop-in tutorial assistance. Tutors are available in every academic
subject. Students can also access technology, textbooks, and other
materials.  The Learning Center is located in the College and Career Center
(Room D221).

Daily Progress Reports. If your student is struggling, you may request Daily
Progress Reports from his or her teacher using a form that is available in
the Counseling Department office. You may also contact your child's teacher
directly.

Contacting teachers. Teacher email addresses are listed on the Berkeley High
website http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

If you do not have Internet access you may leave a note for the teacher at
the Front Desk.

Additional questions may be sent to our Academic Support Coordinator Wyn
Skeels at wynskeels at berkeley.net

12. What additional academic support does BHS offer?

In addition to the programs above there are four programs for underserved
students.  If you think your student could benefit from any of the following
programs--Bridge, AVID, Y-Scholars, and RISE-please contact his or her
middle school counselor for more information and guidance.  We have also
provided contact information for each program.

.         Berkeley High Bridge Program

Bridge is designed to help underserved students successfully transition to
Berkeley High, support them during their four years in high school, and
maintain eligibility to attend a four-year college or university when they
graduate. A focus is also placed on developing the leadership capabilities
of the students so they can become facilitators of positive change. The
program is voluntary and intended for students who have the desire to
succeed academically but who can benefit from extra support and guidance.
Each year, students attend summer sessions and after school classes to help
ensure they remain academically successful. Families also participate in
workshops to better navigate Berkeley High and enhance their own abilities
to support their children at school.

The classes take place every day after school at Berkeley High and serve as
a consistent, reliable home base that keeps students accountable for their
academic progress, with the ultimate aim of teaching them to become
accountable to themselves. We provide academic tutoring, counseling,
coaching and a space for kids to work. We help students diagnose and
problem-solve their academic challenges, facilitate their access of Berkeley
High resources, and monitor their progress. We also facilitate communication
between students, families, teachers and key people at the school site who
provide additional resources and support.

Bridge offers an intensive personalized solution to address challenges
student-by student, day-by day, and in many cases, assignment-by-assignment.
Our mission is to have more African American and Latino students make an
academically successful transition from middle school to Berkeley High and
from Berkeley High to college.

The BHS Bridge Program currently has limited availability and prioritizes
students who qualify for free and reduced lunch, students who will be the
first students in their families to attend college, and students who
generally maintained a 2.0-2.9 GPA in middle school.

If you would like additional information please contact the Bridge Program
Coordinator, Jessie Luxford: jessieluxford at berkeley.net

.         AVID Advancement Via Individual Determination

Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) is a four-year academic
elective course that prepares students for college readiness and success.
The 9th and 10th grade AVID course emphasizes rhetorical reading, analytical
writing, collaborative discussion strategies, preparation for college
entrance and placement exams, college study skills, test-taking strategies,
note taking and research.  The 9th and 10th grade AVID curriculum also
focuses on college and career awareness through work in class, guest
speakers and field trips to colleges. The 11th grade AVID Elective course is
the first part in a junior/senior seminar course that focuses on writing and
critical thinking expected of first- and second-year college students. In
addition to the academic focus of the AVID seminar, there are college-bound
activities, methodologies and tasks that should be undertaken during the
junior year to support students as they apply to four-year universities and
confirm their postsecondary plans.

To apply for the AVID program   please contact Vernon Walton,
vernonwalton at berkeley.net or Mendel Chernack mendelchernack at berkeley.net

.         RISE

Berkeley High School's RISE (Responsibility, Integrity, Strength,
Empowerment) program is an initiative that encourages Berkeley High youth to
make positive changes in their communities. Targeting at-risk youth, RISE is
an after-school program designed to help high school youth succeed in school
and get into college. RISE's primary goal of motivating students to do well
in school is partially accomplished by providing academic tutoring and
extracurricular activities, and largely accomplished via mentoring and an
academically nurturing environment.

For questions or to receive applications, please contact Adriana Betti at
adrianabetti at berkeley.net

.         Y-SCHOLARS

The Y-Scholars Program is a free college preparatory afterschool program
that works with first-generation college-bound students in grades 9-12,
preparing them to pursue higher education through career exploration and
academic achievement. Services include: weekly workshops covering topics
ranging from study skills to college exploration, mentoring, after-school
tutoring, SAT preparatory classes, college tours, social events, and much
more. In addition, all 12th grade participants receive weekly individual
advising on exploring college majors and potential careers, and completing
college and financial assistance applications. Applications are required and
accepted on a rolling basis. This program is based in the new Y-Teen Center
on the corner of Martin Luther King and Addison.

For more information, contact the Y Scholars program at (510) 542-2130

13. Who should I call if I am worried about my student's attendance in high
school?

If your son/daughter had problems with unexcused absences in middle school,
don't hesitate to reach out to us early-we can connect you with resources
and support.  The Dean of Attendance will be happy to schedule a meeting
with you to discuss strategies for improved attendance.

Visit us in person in the Attendance Office in D134.

Email us at attendanceoffice at berkeley.net

Call us...

if last name begins with A  - Gl                    644-6341

if last name begins with Go - N                    644-6194

if last name begins with O -   Z                     644-6209

To speak Spanish                                        644-6194

14. How do I excuse or clear a student's absence?

Absences are excused for illness, medical appointments, religious holidays,
jury duty, or a death in the immediate family. Family travel is not an
excused absence. If a student is out for illness three consecutive days or
30 periods in one quarter, BHS requires a medical note to clear those
absences.

A separate FAQ from the attendance office, which includes how to excuse
absences, attendance office hours, and ways to monitor student attendance,
will be included in the summer mailing to all BHS families.

15. How can I get involved if I want to volunteer at Berkeley High School?

There are any number of opportunities to volunteer: at registration, the
front desk, test monitoring, chaperoning dances, on field trips, or helping
in the library. We also have an Athletic Fund, the BHS Development Group,
the PTSA, and school-governing committees. Volunteer opportunities are
posted regularly on the etree.

For more info contact volunteer coordinator Lisa Sibony:
lisasibony at berkeley.net.

16. How do I know what is happening at the school?

ETREE

Regular communication is sent home by email via the Berkeley High etree, a
list serve providing information about Berkeley High School to the greater
BHS community.

as the first and only word in the subject line.

"unsubscribe" as the first and only word in the subject line.

If you have trouble subscribing, please contact the e-tree moderators,
bhs-owner at lmi.net

If you missed an important posting you may search the etree archives at
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

WEBSITE

Families should bookmark the Berkeley High website which posts resources,
news, teacher contacts and more.  http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

PHONE BLAST

Very important news is sent home by Phone Blast.  Please make sure your
telephone number is up to date in our database by contacting the attendance
office (numbers above.)

17. How can I take a tour of Berkeley High School?

The touring season for prospective students runs from October to March. The
small group tours leave the Front Desk at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday - Friday and
10:45 on Mondays. Students are  welcome as long as their own parent or
guardian accompanies them. Tours are by reservation only; to sign up, please
email bhsoutreach at berkeley.net.

18. How can students audition for the music program?

BHS is very proud of our music programs and encourages all interested
students to participate. Tryouts take place on the following dates:

Orchestra Program   Advanced 1st Chamber Orchestra Auditions (winds and
strings) April 28, 29, and 30 beginning at 4 p.m.

For more information contact Karen Wells at karenwells at berkeley.net

Jazz Program   May 20th (piano, drums, vibes), 21st (bass and guitar), 22nd
(brass), and 27th (woodwinds), beginning at 3:30 p.m.

For more information contact Sarah Cline at sarahcline at berkeley.net

19. How can students get involved with athletics? What sports are offered?
How and when do I try out for a fall sport/team?

Berkeley High School offers 27 sports in total.  Fall sports are: Boys and
Girls Cross Country, Girls Field Hockey, Football, Girls Golf, Girls Tennis,
Girls Volleyball, Boys and Girls Water polo. All fall tryouts happen in
August before school starts.

Information on fall sports tryouts will be posted on the etree and posted on
the websites listed below. For coach contact info and the required athletics
packet, interested students should come by the Athletic Office located
behind the bleachers or check the Berkeley Athletic Fund website
(http://www.berkeleyhighathletics.org/) or the BHS athletics website
(http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/athletics/)

Incoming freshmen are allowed to participate in a fall sport regardless of
performance in their 8th grade year. Moving forward in school, first quarter
grades are used to determine midseason eligibility for fall sports with
these requirements:  a 2.0 minimum GPA of 2.0 and no more than one F.

20. What are the course options for students within the African-American
Studies department?

There are currently five courses within African-American Studies: Kiswahili,
Afro-Haitian Dance, African American literature, African American History,
and African American Psychology and Sociology.  These classes fulfill a
number of graduation and elective requirements. For example,
African-American History 1/2 fulfills the US History requirement, and
African-American Literature, earns one year of English credit.  Afro-Haitian
dance fulfills PE requirement.  In addition, any one African-American
Studies course fulfills the BUSD requirement for one semester of ethnic
studies.

   For information about the African-American Studies department and its
courses offerings, please read the Berkeley High School course catalog pages
55-57. The catalog may be found on the BHS website at
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

If you have questions, contact Vice Principal Vernon Walton
vernonwalton at berkeley.net

21. How does the African-American Studies Department support students
outside of the classroom?

The AAS Department sponsors the Berkeley High School Black Student Union
(BSU) which offers students the opportunity and space for students to
discuss their experiences; participate in developing, planning, and
implementing significant events and activities in which they are interested;
and coordinate annual celebrations such as the annual Celebration of
Excellence (African-American Graduation Ceremony). The BSU gives students
the opportunity to groom leadership skills, become active in campus living,
and work with career professionals who are future role models for their
career paths.

For more information, contact teacher Mama Naomi Washington
naomiwashington at berkeley.net

22. When do students meet with their academic counselor? How do I
communicate with my student's counselor?

Ninth grade students will meet their assigned academic counselors after
school begins. Counselor assignments will be posted on the etree and in the
counseling center during the first week of school.

The best way to communicate with counselors during the school year is
primarily via email.  Parents who do not have email may leave a note for
counselor at the Front Desk.

We realize that families have many questions for counselors but ask you to
understand that our large registration process and other duties associated
with the opening of school keeps counselors occupied during the first few
weeks of school. The counselors' first priority is making sure all students
have a schedule after which they can shift their focus to scheduling changes
and adjustments. Counselors will NOT be available for drop in meetings with
parents or students during the first two weeks of school. During
registration, counselors will be making course changes and schedule
adjustments with seniors receiving priority.

23. What do we do if there is a mistake in my child's schedule?

If your student's schedule contains a mistake (an incorrect level or a class
which was not requested) we ask that they submit a schedule request form.
There is space on the form for an explanation. If a counselor needs to talk
to a student about their request, they will send for the student.

Students, even those who have requested changes, should always follow their
printed course schedules until a counselor or an administrator confirms an
official change.

24. What resources are available for students with IEPs?

Berkeley High School offers a continuum of services for its approximately
300 students with disabilities. The Special Education program is designed to
meet the diverse needs of students with a wide range of learning needs from
mild to moderate learning disabilities to severe cognitive and physical
differences    Special education teachers are each affiliated with a
learning community or a specialized program.  Teachers both case manage
students and teach skill based classes. In addition students receive
specialized individual support around their academic classes as well as
their transition needs during teacher-led Consultative Learning Centers
(CLCs).  Please contact Program Manager: dianecolborn at berkeley.net for
additional questions.

25. What resources are available for English Language Learners?

We take our commitment to English language learners seriously.  In addition
to the EL Newcomer program explained below, there is a Home School Liaison,
a lead teacher, a parent/staff English Language Advisory Committee,
Bilingual tutors and mentors, and several student run clubs such as Earphone
English which support English language learners.

BHS administers the California English Language Development test the first
week of school every September. The test is scored at BHS and used to place
EL students.  New students are tested through the year as they enroll in
order to determine placement.

EL Newcomer Program

This program focuses on recently arrived students who speak little or no
English.  The program is a Structured English Immersion Program (SEI) with
many academic classes offered in the student's native language.  This year
there are 88 EL students in the Newcomer Program.  A Newcomer EL student is
learning a new language: reading, writing, speaking, and listening academic
English, as well as acculturating to American school culture and
expectations. Newcomer EL students are in ELD classes for two hours daily
and in Specially-Designed Academic Classes SDIAE for their core subjects of
math, history, science, and English.  In addition, many of EL Newcomers take
a 7th period tutorial for academic support. Our goal in the Newcomer Program
is to mainstream students as soon as possible.  For more information see the
BHS Course Catalog.

Bilingual Tutors/Mentors

Tutors work one-on-one with all English Learners in EL Newcomer classes,
especially with EL Beginners, in math classes, and in EL Tutorial.  The goal
is to support students academically and to help ELs improve attendance and
plan for college.

ELAC or English Language Advisory Committee is a parent advisory and
advocacy committee that ELAC members advise and give input to the principal
and staff on:

- The development of the school plan for programs serving ELs.

-  The school's needs assessment.

-  The administration of the school's language census.

-   Efforts to make parents aware of the importance of regular school
attendance.

-  In addition, ELAC members are consulted by the School Site Council (SCC)
on the EL component of the school plan and budget.

Contacts for English Language Learners

Long Term English Learner Coordinator

The LTEL coordinator coaches LTEL teachers and monitors the Long Term
English Language services and students including the Academic Language
Development (ALD) course all 9th grade Long Term English Learners take in
addition to their mainstream English class. For more information, contact
coordinator Tamara Friedman at tamarafriedman at berkeley.net.

Bilingual EL Home School Liaison

The Liaison is an advocate for students and families and a link between home
and school.  For more information, call the EL Office at 510-644-6949 or
email Patricia Stewart at patriciastewart at berkeley.net or English Learner
Lead Teacher teacher Heidi Ramirez-Weber at heidiramirezweber at berkeley.net.

26. How can families stay in communication with teachers?

Families and students are able to track the most up to date grades and
attendance using an online system called PowerSchool. The Parent Portal can
be found at: http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/parents/powerschool-access/

To access the information parents and students need a password. Students'
accounts are created for them.  Accounts for 9th grade students will
typically be opened during the first week of school.  New students and their
parents will receive their password and instructions in the mail sometime in
September.  If your student attended a BUSD middle school, your Parent
Access Code is the same as it was last year. If you lost your code or need
help, please contact the Parent Resource Office at (510) 644-8524.

27. When is freshman orientation and what happens on that day?

Freshman orientation is on Thursday, August 21st this year. Students will
receive their actual class schedule with room numbers and teacher's names.
They will check out textbooks, be assigned a locker, turn in  required
forms, get a photo identification card, learn about clubs and athletic
information as well as take a campus tour.

We strongly encourage families to schedule late summer plans with this date
in mind. The day is a very good way for new students to familiarize
themselves with BHS prior to the first day of school and lower some of the
anxiety in terms of knowing where classes and offices are located and get
some preliminary sense of how the campus is laid out.

28. What is the Berkeley High School Development Group?

The Berkeley High School Development Group (BHSDG) is an independent
nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation founded in 1991 to ensure the quality and
excellence of Berkeley High School by raising and distributing funds to
enhance academic and other projects. To learn more, volunteer, and/or make a
donation, go to www.bhsdg.org <http://www.bhsdg.org/> , or send an email to
info at bhsdg.org.

29. How can students get involved in clubs, leadership, or volunteer work?

The Associated Student Body (ASB) is consists of student leadership officers
and student leadership teams at all grade levels. It is the hub for nearly
60 different clubs organized around a range of interests from community
service and hobbies to arts, political activism, and outdoor activities.

Incoming freshmen will be able to explore club opportunities during freshman
orientation, as well as through a club fair, which is usually held within
the first three weeks of school.

Elections for freshman class officers begin with nomination forms being
available at freshman orientation.

Students can also get involved in a number of volunteer and community
outreach events such the annual holiday meal, blood drive, or multicultural
celebration. Those events are announced throughout the year on the Student
Daily Bulletin, which is both read aloud during 2nd period and posted on the
etree.

If you have additional questions about any student leadership, volunteer, or
club activities, please contact John Villavicencio, our Director of Student
Activities: johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

30. How does BHS maintain and monitor student and campus safety?

Berkeley High School takes the safety of its students very seriously and
consistently reviews campus safety concerns weekly at both administrative
team and safety officer meetings.

We have a team of twelve (12) safety officers who supervise the campus
before, after, and during the school day.  During lunchtime an administrator
supervises the city park. Our safety officers are not simply "security
guards." They build positive relationships with the students they share the
hallways with each school day. Safety officers also play a daily role in
mediating and preventing conflicts between students.

In addition to our safety officers, BHS employs four (4) campus monitors who
supervise each of the campus entrances.  Finally, Berkeley High School works
closely with the Youth Services Division of the Berkeley Police Department.
A sworn police officer, serving as a School Resource Officer (SRO), is
assigned to our campus full time during school hours.

Should a student ever feel threatened, harassed, or bullied at any time,
they should seek out their counselor, a school safety officer, or any other
adult on campus. Students should carry student ID with them at all times in
the event of an emergency.

If you have questions about campus safety, or are interested in
participating in the School Safety Committee, please contact our Dean of
Students, Ardarius McDonald: ardariusmcdonald at berkeley.net

31. How can students get involved in journalism or work on the school
newspaper?

The Berkeley High Jacket is the student newspaper of Berkeley High School.
The 16-page paper is published every other Friday throughout the school year
and serves more than 3,200 Berkeley High students, as well as the broader
Berkeley community. The Jacket is largely student-operated and is put
together by a dedicated staff of student editors, writers, photographers,
illustrators and videographers. In 2000, the Jacket staff became the
first-ever non-professional winner of the Northern California Society of
Professional Journalists' Journalist of the Year award.

To apply for a position as a Jacket staff writer, photographer or
illustrator, please go to http://www.bhsjacket.com/join_staff_0 to download
an application. Applications will be available May 2014.

If you have questions please email faculty advisor Dharini Rasiah at
drasiah at berkeley.net.

32. What is the Parent Resource center?

The Parent Resource center, located on the second floor of the Admin
Building at BHS, aims to help families feel connected to the high school.
Leticia Amezcua, who is bilingual, and Irma Parker work hard at answering
questions and explaining services.  In addition, they provide training to
parents and guardians on how to use PowerSchool, BHS's web-based student
information system; in particular, the parent portal that allows families to
track student progress in classes online.

The parent resource center regularly schedules family workshops throughout
the year, and facilitates the purchase of student BART tickets including
discount BART tickets to families who qualify. The center is also the
location of the school's Lost and Found.

Contact our parent liaisons for additional information:

Irma Parker at (510) 644-8524 or  irmaparker at berkeley.net

Leticia Amezcua at (510) 644-4814 leticiaamezcua at berkeley.net

Leticia speaks Spanish.

33. What is the Berkeley High School Health Center?

The city of Berkeley Health Department operates the Berkeley High School
Health Center, which is located on campus. The Health Center empowers teens
to take responsibility for their physical, emotional, and social health by
engaging their strengths, experiences, and knowledge. The Health Center
provides access to culturally appropriate care through a combination of
direct services, partnerships, and referrals to community resources.

The Health center provides the following services:

Health Education

Drug and Alcohol Prevention Education; Nutrition Information; Pregnancy
Prevention and Testing; STI/HIV Education and Prevention

Mental Health

Crisis Intervention; Individual Counseling; Stress Management; Support
Groups; Referrals to outside therapists

Youth Development

SHIFT (Sexual Health Information From Teens) a peer education program, in
which students develop and present health education curriculum in classrooms
at BHS addressing topics such as pregnancy/STI prevention, healthy decision
making, positive communication skills

First Aid Services

Evaluation and treatment of minor illnesses and injuries; immunizations; and
identification of students with chronic illnesses to refer for case
management

<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message, send to:
<mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe.  To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: subscribe.