[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Message from Principal Scuderi

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Feb 17 23:26:00 PST 2014

Dear BHS Families:

In the interest of always providing clear and transparent communications to
our families we are writing to inform you of a tragic incident that occurred
on the BHS campus over the weekend. This afternoon, at approximately 2:15
p.m. BHS staff discovered the body of a young man who appeared to have taken
his own life. Staff informed law enforcement, the Superintendent, district
staff, and BHS security right away. We are writing to families at this hour
on behalf of Superintendent Evans, Berkeley High School, and the Board of
Education.

BPD continues to investigate. At present BPD has described the man as being
in his early 20's and indications are that he hung himself. BPD and BUSD
staff are still in the process of determining whether or not the victim had
or has any connection to BHS.

As of this writing we see no immediate impact on normal school operations
for the week, yet we will provide additional details to our families and
community as they become available and where it is relevant and appropriate
to do so.

Whether or not the current investigation ultimately yields connections to
current students or families at BHS, we will nevertheless have counseling
staff and health center staff on notice to provide any support that students
may require in light of this incident.

We also know that a scenario like this occurring on our school campus and in
our learning space can raise anxieties for kids and families and may require
some thoughtful and supportive discussion and processing.

The very act of someone taking their own life on our campus will make for
some anxious and unsettling questions from our students. Below are some very
general starter resources to help parents and teachers facilitate discussion
and help us respond to questions our kids might have.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/helping-children-cope/art-20047029

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/living/talking-kids-scary-news

Invariably there will be questions tomorrow, yet we cannot provide you much
more than what we have already shared with you. The most salient and
appropriate points we can share with kids are as follows:

-A death did occur on campus over the long weekend

-It does appear to have been a case of someone taking their own life

-Police are still investigating

-We are still in the process of determining what connections if any this
person has to BHS

-If you or any of your friends need support because of any anxiety or fear
this event understandably brings up for you please see your counselor first

-If more information comes to light that is relevant and appropriate to
share, the administrative team will do so

-If you know of anyone who is struggling with thoughts of taking their own
life or hurting themselves or others, please inform an adult on campus or
seek help in the BHS Health Center

This I know is difficult and unsettling news, yet we will of course manage
it together with the safety and the well-being of our students at the
forefront of our efforts.

If anyone has information regarding this incident please contact BPD's
Homicide Detail at 510-981-5737 or the non-emergency number at 510-981-5900.

Respectfully,

Pasquale Scuderi

Principal

<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message, send to:
<mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe.  To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: subscribe.