[BHS Etree] JAZZ: BHS Wins at Folsom Jazz Festival

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Jan 26 15:23:57 PST 2014

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Sarah Cline
sarahcline at berkeley.net

Hi Everyone--

I was so proud of the Berkeley High Jazz Ensemble and our combos for their
inspired performances at the Folsom Jazz Festival yesterday!  The kids
played with inspiration and sensitivity, and with a sophisticated grasp of
the roots and soul of jazz.  They listened well to one another, and created
magic on the bandstand.

Combo A won first place in the combos competition

Combos B and C, composed of all sophomores (+ one freshman) tied for 3rd
place in the combos competition

The Jazz Ensemble won second place in the AAAA division

Outstanding Artist Awards were given to:

Combo C:  Aidan Fike (vibes), Remee Ashley (trombone), and Matt Stoloff
(drums)

Combo B: David Marcus (guitar) and Ethan Ostrow (piano and composition)

Combo A: Nora Stanley (alto), Arabelle Shoenberg (piano), Max Schwartz
(bass) and Cy Grimsich (drums)

Jazz Ensemble: Benny Bock (piano), Arabelle Schoenberg (piano), Aidan Fike
(vibes), Tim Angulo (drums), and Monte  Metal (soprano and tenor saxes)

Next up for the Jazz Ensemble is our February 4th concert at Yoshi's in
Oakland.  Shows are at 7 p.m. (combo A and the jazz ensemble) and 9 p.m.
(combo B and the jazz ensemble playing a different set of music)  There may
still be a few tickets remaining to the 7:00 show and there are quite a few
for 9 p.m.

And then the Jazz Ensemble heads to Havana, Cuba from February 14 - 22!

A program like BHS Jazz can only be successful with the support of many. I
would like to thank all of the coaches and middle school music teachers
whose contributions are essential to the excellence of our program:  Nancy
Boyles, Roland Brown, Michael Hammond, Marty Wehner, Josh Jones, Owen
Miyoshi, Sheldon Brown, Don Howe, Dave Ellis and Erik Jekobsen, and also the
jazzschool, Young Musician's Program and SFJazz, where so many of our
students gain opportunities to further their musical studies.  Thanks to the
BHS community for their support of the jazz program, especially
administrators Pasquale Scuderi, Jorge Melgoza, and Al Wilright, and music
teachers Karen Wells, Mary Dougherty, Steffanie Schaeffer and Pete Gidlund.
And thanks to BUSD Visual and Performing Arts Coordinator Suzanne McCulloch
and Instrument Czarina Alicia Mayorga for their tireless support of the arts
in Berkeley schools.

And, of course, we are indebted to the many individual sponsors have given
generously to our program, as well as to our organizational funders which
include BSEP, the Berkeley Schools Fund, the Berkeley High Development
Group, the Bill Graham Foundation, the City of Berkeley, and the 4th Street
Merchants Association.

And as always, a HUGE shout out to the Berkeley High Jazz Association for
their tireless work in supporting our program!

--Sarah Cline

BHS Jazz Director

P.S. For up-to-date information on BHS Jazz, including photos, audio files,
BHS Jazz alumni contact info,  a calendar of events, information on how to
donate to BHS jazz, and audition information (posted in April), please check
out our new and improved website at www.berkeleyhighjazz.org
<http://www.berkeleyhighjazz.org/>

<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message, send to:
<mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe.  To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: subscribe.