[BHS Etree] MISC: College Essay Book & Essay Reading FAQS; Publicist Sought

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Sep 27 17:50:35 PDT 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact: Janet Huseby jan at smuseby.net
<mailto:jan at smuseby.net>

I received a number of questions about the Berkeley Book of College
Essays and current essay readers as I sold the book at BHS during two
recent evening events.  Below are answers.  Also, at the end is a plea
for a volunteer publicist to help get the word out and increase sales.

1. *Who wrote the essays?*. The essays in the book were all written by
Berkeley High seniors and collected after they were accepted at college.
  The students gave their permission allowing us to use their essay.  In
exchange, all profits from the book go to the Berkeley High School
College and Career Center.  We asked for contributions on the etree and
through the Jacket, but most of the essays came on the recommendation of
college essay readers, college counselors, and BHS teachers.

2. *Cost*:  The book costs $15, cash or check made out to BHSDG.  For
discounted bulk sales, please contact Janet Huseby jan at smuseby.net
<mailto:jan at smuseby.net>

3. *This is the third edition of the Essay Book*.  The first edition,
2006, called True Admissions,  was self published with a grant from the
Berkeley High School Development Group.  The second edition in 2007 was
picked up by Stonebridge Press and Cody's Books as the first and only
one of a projected Cody's Book's series.  The third edition, 2013, has
been published by The Berkeley High School Development Group.

4. *Differences between the 2nd and third editions*.  We added 20 essays
and removed approximately 30 including all except one of the very short
essays as these are no longer required by the common app. The section on
prompts was updated to reflect changes in the UC application and the
  Common App. We also updated the bios for each essay writer.

5.*Where to buy*. The Berkeley Book of College Essays is on sale locally
at Berkeley High School from Mary Jacobs in the College and Career
Center and Lisa Sibony in the Front Office; from Mrs. Dalloway's on
College Ave.  or online at
(http://shop.mrsdalloways.com/product/berkeley-book-college-essays) ,
Pegasus on Solano, and Books, Inc. on 4th Street.  Books may also be
purchased on Amazon.com <http://Amazon.com> although the profit margin
for BHS is very small when you purchase the book from Amazon.

7.*College Essay readers* are available in the College and Career Center
before school, after school, and during lunch every day except Friday
afternoon.  Students do not have to sign up ahead of time; the readers
work with students on as first come first served basis.  Half of the
essay readers are professional writers. The rest are private college
counselors, lawyers, or other professionals.  Most of the readers have
been working with BHS students for many years. They understand what
makes a good college essay.  Mary Jacobs in the college center has
copies of the essay reader's schedules and email addresses.

8.*Publicist* sought for the Berkeley Book of College Essays. I have
been working at distributing the book in a number of ways.  I would love
to consult pro bono with a publicist for ideas and help.   If you are
interested, please get in touch with me at jan at smuseby.net
<mailto:jan at smuseby.net>.

Thank you,

Janet Huseby

bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>. To post a message, send
to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
'unsubscribe'; To _subscribe_ to the etree, send an email to
bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in
the subject line: 'subscribe.' http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net
<http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>