[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Message from the Dean of Attendance

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Feb 3 22:31:03 PST 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Daniel Roose,
danielroose at berkeley.net

Dear Parents,

I hope the second semester is off to a great start for your kids (and for
you).   Here are some attendance updates  .

FLU SEASON:  BHS has been walloped by the flu, with record numbers of
students out. Preliminary data for January are showing many students out for
multiple days -- including students with previously perfect attendance.
Parents, if your son/daughter is out for several days, remember that excused
absences include the right to earn full credit for days missed, through
alternative assignments or an extension that is comparable to the time
missed.  With so many students out simultaneously, busy teachers might not
always remember to hand out alternative assignment to everybody who was
absent, so remind your son/daughter to self-advocate, if necessary.  And, of
course, don't forget to excuse those absences within five school days!

ATTENDANCE INCENTIVES:  In addition to the ongoing work with absentee
students, I want to start recognizing students who show up for class
regularly. The Attendance Team is asking local merchants for donations to
honor students with good attendance or improved attendance. For details, see
the attached letter. If you know a generous community member, please pass
the letter along. The motivation is to reward students with good attendance
for what they already accomplished; not a scheme to 'bribe' truants into
coming to class. [note from etree moderator: digest subscribers will not see
an attachment, but may contact Mr. Roose for a copy of the letter]

SATURDAY SCHOOL:  This week's Berkeley Times had a flattering article about
the new BHS Saturday School, which had its third session Saturday, Feb. 2nd.
So far it's been a success, with good turnout.  Students have remained
focused for three hours on school work -- thanks to great BHS team of
Jordana Anderson, Janelle Bugarini, Booker Lett, and our UCB tutor, Ariel
Zepeda.  As of February we are now shifting into twice-monthly sessions; the
next will be Feb. 23rd.  Interested students can sign up at the attendance
office.  In addition to tutoring, students who come to Saturday School get
to erase six of their unexcused period absences

PROM:  This year we'll be barring students from prom if they have 30 or more
unexcused period absences.  The count began on first day of second quarter,
and is cumulative all year up to prom itself.  Students can clear some of
their unexcused absences by attending Saturday School, by attending
tutoring, or by doing community service.  If your daughter/son has many
unexcused absences, send her/him to attendance office to get details on how
to clear absences.  We'll also be sending a letter home to all students who
have reached or are near the 30-period mark.

FIXING MISTAKES:  A question I often get is how should a parent proceed when
you believe the teacher made a mistake with attendance.  In such a case,
please send an email to the teacher, and include a cc to
danielroose at berkeley.net.  In body of the email, politely inform teacher you
think a mistake was made and include your name, your child's name, the
date(s) of the mistake, and the reason why you think it was a mistake.  If
the teacher agrees a mistake was made, all s/he needs to do is 'reply all'
and as soon as I receive the email, I can change.  Attendance office is NOT
allowed to change teacher marks if we do not receive confirmation from
teacher that a mistake was made.  Please do not approach attendance office
directly to request a change until after you've already communicated
directly with the teacher.

That's it, folks.  Here's wishing you all the best as we enter second week
of second semester.

--

Daniel Roose

Dean of Attendance / WASC / World Languages

Berkeley High School

1980 Allston Way, 94704

phone:  510.644.6929