[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Message from Principal Scuderi About This Afternoon's Incidents

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Jan 16 20:19:15 PST 2013

Dear BHS Community:

At least four physical altercations occurred just off of campus shortly
after school today and led to large crowds of onlookers, mostly BHS
students. There was a significant response from the Berkeley Police
Department that resulted in much congestion and commotion in multiple spots
downtown.

Thus far we know that the various incidents, which we are still very much
sorting through, involved Berkeley High School students, some non-students
in the area of Shattuck Avenue, and a very small number of students who
attend Berkeley Technology Academy (BTECH). Preliminarily, we believe that
at least three of the incidents were not connected, but we should have a
clearer understanding tomorrow.

We feel fortunate to report no injuries.

At the moment we know that there were four (4) arrests made; we know at
least one of those parties was a Berkeley High student, one was a student at
BTECH, and we are waiting on confirmation of the status of the other
parties.

Additionally, we can tell you that multiple suspensions will also be
administered at the school site.

One of the most disturbing aspects of this afternoon was the way that so
many kids rushed toward the scenes of these incidents and in a few cases,
albeit unintentionally, made it difficult for school safety staff and
administrators to get to where they needed to get to provide assistance
quickly.

I am asking all parents to speak with their students about this issue as so
many kids were involved, and even those kids who were not can benefit from
the discussion. For some human beings there is clearly a tendency and grim
curiosity to run towards these type of conflicts, but the best course of
action for personal safety is to move away from the conflict. A student
crowding around a physical or potentially violent conflict puts themselves
in danger and makes getting help to the situation more difficult.

Berkeley High School will in fact consider suspension for any student who
willingly or unwillingly contributes to a physical conflict by obstructing
the work of staff members or adults responsible for responding and
intervening. We will review this issue with students at school, but also ask
all of our families to discuss this with their kids as well.

Given the size of the crowd and the nature of the incident we are counting
on several hundred versions of the story making their way home tonight, and
given the seriousness of the afternoon we felt best to share with you what
we could as soon as possible.

Most of the semester has seen a notable decline in incidents and suspensions
and we will work very hard to ensure that today's events are an exception,
and that our positive trend in school climate continues.

Respectfully,

Pasquale Scuderi

Principal

subject line: 'unsubscribe'; To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: 'subscribe'