[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Lockdown Drill/Exercise, Dec. 19 (Wed.) at 1:30 p.m.

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Dec 18 22:09:38 PST 2012

Dear BHS Families:

As previously mentioned BHS will conduct a school-wide lockdown drill
tomorrow, Wednesday, December 19, at 1:30 p.m.

This exercise, like the one we ran last year, will serve to continuously
improve our collective ability to secure the entire perimeter of our campus
and shelter students and staff should there be an emergency or threat to our
campus.

While this exercise was discussed and proposed some time ago, the recent
tragedy in Connecticut has obviously reaffirmed our need to maintain this
type of capability.

One simple rule we want families and students to be clear on in the event of
an actual lockdown or shelter in place:

Students proceed to the nearest safe space, office, or classroom even it is
not THEIR classroom, and then stay there with staff until law enforcement or
school administrators call the incident clear.

We will make every effort to ensure that the process is effective and
respectful of current events. The exercise should take 5-7 minutes.

There will also be a brief acknowledgement of the victims in Connecticut and
for the many around the world who are victimized by gun violence at the
conclusion of the exercise.

The gravity of the realities that necessitate these aspects of our work will
likely stir some emotions, but I much prefer some discomfort over
indifference and inaction where our ability to protect kids is concerned.

Should emotions arise we will take care of each other. The challenges of
these scenarios - even in simulation - require us to manage and respect our
emotions and those of our students, while maintaining our ability to meet
our primary responsibility of keeping them safe amidst the unthinkable.

Respectfully,

Pasquale Scuderi

Principal

subject line: 'unsubscribe'; To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: 'subscribe'