[BHS Etree] TEEN SERVICES: Y-Scholars Program/College Prep and Tutoring Resources

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Aug 15 22:31:32 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Jose Herrera Cruz, jcruz at ymca-cba.org

The Y-Scholars Program is a FREE college-preparatory afterschool program that works with high school teens who are first-generation college-bound or come from a low-income family background.

As we enter our 13th year of serving youth in the Berkeley community, we are excited to announce that we are still accepting applications for the 2012-2013 academic year.

Students accepted into the program will be able to receive the following services for their entire high school career:

Academic Assistance Daily After-School Group Tutoring Individual Tutoring Individual Mentoring SAT/ACT Test Preparation
College Advising and Planning
Career Advising and Planning
College Tours
Scholarship Opportunities
Academic and Social Events

We have been successful in getting 98% of our graduates to enroll in a post-secondary institution after high school. Graduates of the Y-Scholars Program have gone on to prestigious colleges such as MIT, Pomona College, and UC Berkeley.

There is no GPA requirement, and program commitment starts at only 4 hours a week.

Please contact the Y-Scholars Program Coordinator, Jose Herrera Cruz, at jcruz at ymca-cba.org or 510.542.2130 to obtain an application and get more information.

José Herrera Cruz
Associate Academic Manager
YMCA-PG&E TEEN CENTER
P 510 542 2130  F 510 649 9885
E jcruz at ymca-cba.org

The Y: for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.