[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, May 8 (Tues.)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon May 7 19:39:53 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email. All information is collected and prepared
for the bulletin by Belinda McDaniel at the BHS front desk. No additional
information or details are available from the etree.

BHS STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN

Tuesday, May 8

*New or updated information

SENIORS

You are Invited to the Second Annual Academic Choice Commencement

Where:  BHS Community Theatre

When:  3-6 p.m. Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dress:  Dressy Casual

Free Sashes and Pins will be handed out to all participating students.

Please invite your relatives and friends.

SPORTS

Hey did you miss Cheerleader Tryouts? Don't worry, you have a second chance
to tryout.  Tryout dates are May 21, 22, and 23 @ 5:30pm - 7:30pm. Please
pick up an application in the main office today! Deadline to turn in
application is Friday, May 18, 2012 by 5pm.  Don't miss your chance to be a
member of the best cheerleading teams in town! IMPORTANT: A completed
application must be turned in by the deadline AND YOU MUST attend all three
days of tryouts in order to be considered.

EVENTS

Hey Berkeley High School , want to watch your talented peers sing, dance,
rap and showcase other exciting skills?  Come to the first ever Berkeley
High Talent Show hosted by the Junior Class.  The Talent Show is Friday, May
11 from 7-9 pm in the Little Theater.  Tickets are on sale in the Leadership
Office for only $3 at lunch and after school.  Tickets for parents and other
adults are $5.  Tickets for younger children are $3.  Be there for a
uniquely entertaining night to remember!

JOBS

1. I am offering an opportunity for a summer job as my assistant in teaching
sewing at Stone Mountain and Daughter Fabric Store in Berkeley during June,
July and August this summer.  The student should be familiar with using a
sewing machine and enjoy working with middle school-age youth.  The hours
will be from 10am to 1pm Monday through Thursday, 3 weeks per month.  We
have fun and work in a relaxed atmosphere with children who have beginning
to intermediate level sewing skills.  I can be contacted at
elliot.alice at gmail.com.

2. The Edible Schoolyard at King Middle School is looking to hire two
Interns to assist with the summer program for King Students, taking place
August 13th - 17th.  To find out more about the position and apply, please
go to http://edibleschoolyard.org/careers/summer-program-high-school-intern.

VOLUNTEERING

1. Calling all students!  Get some fun volunteer experience, and help out
the younger K-5 kids at Malcolm X Elementary!  The MX Spring Fair is taking
place on Friday, May 11th, from 5-8 pm.  We could really use some volunteers
to help with games like the Shopping Cart Toss, the Hula Hoop Contest, and
Putt-Putt Miniature Golf.  Please contact Kellie Whittaker,
biologist at earthlink.net or 548-1592, to sign up.

2. Thousand Oaks Elementary is holding our annual school carnival on
Saturday, June 2 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. We'd love to have student
volunteers to run our games and activities. The event will be held on the
playground at Thousand Oaks . If you haven't completed your community
service hours and would like to help us out, or if you'd like more
information, please call or text Laura-Kate Rurka at 415.203.3019 or email
at toptacommunity at gmail.com.

*3. Volunteers Needed for John Muir Elementary May Fair:  Can you spare 1-2
hours to help us set up, run a booth, serve food or clean-up? This year,
we're using VolunteerSpot, a time-saving online coordination tool. To sign
up to volunteer at May Fair, go to: http://bit.ly/muirfair and complete the
simple online form. Or contact Susan Weeks at 510-684-0463 or
susan.weeks at comcast.net.

SUMMER

1. BAY AREA GIRLS ROCK CAMP IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR OUR JUNE, JULY
& AUGUST 2012 SESSIONS.

Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is an Oakland-based non-profit dedicated to
empowering girls through music education, creation, and performance. Our
summer camp is a week-long program for girls ages 8-18. Form a band on
Monday, and perform an original song that Saturday. No musical experience is
required. Camp will be held at Oakland School for the Arts at the Fox
Theatre in Downtown Oakland, CA. Showcases will take place at The New
Parish. Tuition: $0-$400 / We offer full and partial financial aid upon
request, and no one is turned away for lack of funds. Visit
www.bayareagirlsrockcamp.org <http://www.bayareagirlsrockcamp.org/>  to
apply.

*2. Berkeley Jazzschool GIRLS' JAZZ & BLUES CAMP, August 6-10, 2012 -
Registration is now open for the fourth season of the wildly successful
Girls' Jazz & Blues Camp. Held at the Berkeley Jazzschool Mon-Fri, Aug.
6th-10th, 2012 from 9:30am to 3pm, with a final concert on Aug. 10 at 6pm,
the camp is open to instrumentalists and vocalists entering grades 6-12.
Providing a supportive atmosphere for musical development and making new
friends, the camp features an all-woman faculty from the Montclair Women's
Big Band.  Girls play in ability appropriate Jazz Bands, Blues/Funk bands,
Roots Music Choir, Songwriting, open jam sessions and electives such as
Latin ensemble, percussion and theory/improvisation. Max. 45 girls.
Tuition $450 ($475 after June 1). Some financial aid available.  More info:
www.jazzschool.org/girlscamp  or 510.758.2200 or email:
girlscamp at jazzschool.org

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To