[BHS Etree] ADMIN - Friday's Upcoming Advisory

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Apr 18 19:53:45 PDT 2012

Do not reply to this email, contact Susannah Bell, susannahbell at berkeley.net

Dear Parents,

We are especially excited about this Friday's upcoming advisory session,
because it was last year's most popular session among both teachers and
students.   This is our senior/sophomore, junior/freshman paired advisory
session, in which the older students lead small group discussions, sharing
with the 9th and 10th graders their "keys to success" and "things I wish I'd
known."  The purpose of the session is threefold: (1) to build cross-grade
level community, (2) to allow younger students to hear from their older
peers about the importance of fulfilling graduation / college eligibility
requirements, and (3) to reinforce these "lessons learned" among the older
students themselves.

If you haven't yet had a chance to see it, the BHS Jacket has posted a video
about advisory, including interviews with teachers, students and
administrators.  You can see the interview at
<http://www.bhsjacket.com/multimedia> http://www.bhsjacket.com/multimedia

Please take some time to discuss this week's advisory topic with your child.
If you are the parent of a junior or senior, encourage her to take seriously
this opportunity to pass on the lessons she has learned as a student at
Berkeley High and to try to be positive in imparting these lessons (we hope
the 9th and 10th graders will feel prepared and capable, not scared or
overwhelmed.).  If you are the parent of a freshman or sophomore, encourage
him to think of a question to ask, listen carefully, and take good notes!
Also, we appreciate your feedback!  If you have any questions or comments
about advisory, please contact  <mailto:susannahbell at berkeley.net>
susannahbell at berkeley.net

Thank you,

Pasquale Scuderi and Susannah Bell

Susannah Bell

Berkeley High School

Professional Development Co-Coordinator

berkeleyhighprofessionaldevelopment.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To