[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, March 26 (Mon.)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Mar 25 21:32:39 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email. All information is collected and prepared for the bulletin by Belinda McDaniel at the BHS front desk. No additional information or details are available from the etree.

BHS STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
Monday, March 26, 2012

*New or updated information

*1. Special thanks to Ricky Plascencia for returning lost keys.  We appreciate when students do the right thing.

2. It's true - there really is a competition for the class with the best attendance, and the winner will really get a whole theater rented out to them to watch a movie together!  Here are the updated numbers for attendance competition!
Sophomores are pulling ahead –  grade 9 -  92.95%    grade 10 - 93.24%    grade 11 - 92.14%    grade 12 -  87.89%

SENIORS

* 1. AC Seniors
Commencement Meeting.
Come help decide what your AC Commencement will be like. During lunch on Thursday, March 29 in Mr. Carton's Room C213, snacks provided.

2. Seniors!  Get your prom tickets in the leadership office this week at lunch or afterschool for $70.  Move fast!  Tickets will go up to $75 next week and for the following week after.

EVENTS

1. The Berkeley High Jazz Ensemble  and Combos will perform at Yoshi's Jazz Club in Oakland (510 Embarcadero) on Monday, March 26. Come see  our talented musicians perform at one of the foremost jazz clubs in Northern California!  Tickets are available from Ensemble students and online at Yoshi's Oakland website,  www.yoshis.com/oakland 7:00 Show--$20  (Full Ensemble and Combo A) 9:00 Show--$15  (Full Ensemble and Combos B and C) reply to berkeleyjazz at comcast.net

2. Do you have talent?  Do you want to win Money? Talent show auditions are coming after school on March 28th.  Sign up in the leadership office today!  This is a great performance opportunity for those of you who love to perform.  We welcome all types of performers- Magicians, jugglers, comedians, film makers, licking your eyebrows and other crazy talents. WE WANT IT ALL!!

CLUBS

* 1. Join the Build On Club!  We fundraise to build schools in developing countries, volunteer for fun projects during the weekend and do activities during club meetings to be more globally aware.  Come join the greatness!  Wednesdays at lunch in G104.

OTHER

1. KIC’s home stay program compensates each host family to help cover the cost of room and board: $215 per week for each single room student (half-board); and On March 31, 2012, KIC will be hosting a group of Brazilian scholarship students.  They will be here from March 31 until April 28.  The host families are expected to provide two meals a day and provide a clean room with a bed and desk for the students. We ask that host families live within a maximum 30-minute commute to KIC, and close to public transportation. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Lisa Holsworth, School Director via email Lisa.Holsworth at kaplan.com or at (510) 204-8981 x7503.

2. Flash, the cat who lived on the Berkeley High campus for a month, was recently rescued!  He is currently happy, healthy, in foster care and in need of a great home!  He is eager to receive attention and is very playful and quick to purr.  If you are interested, please contact Sabrina at berkeleyhighcat at gmail.com

*3. Host Families Wanted for International Exchange Students!
We are looking for volunteers who are interested in hosting international high school students for the 2012/2013 school year. We have students 15-18 years old from around the world who will be arriving in August for 5 or 10 months. These students have been pre-screened and admitted to the program from over 30 countries like Brazil, Spain, Belgium, Slovakia, Mongolia, Japan, Korea, and Thailand. We have students interested in a variety of activities including all kinds of sports, scouts, youth groups, piano, art, dance music, reading, math/science, skiing, baseball, soccer, volleyball, hiking/camping, basketball, choir, band, drawing, and painting. As a host family, you would provide shelter, basic food, and loving support. The students have their own spending money for all other expenses and carry medical and dental insurance. Ongoing local support is provided, as an academic coordinator will serve as a liaison between the student, the school, and your family. Without host families, we would not be able to help these students achieve their American Dream! We would love for you to host! To find out more, contact Linda Ostro, Academic Co-ordinator for Cultural Homestay International (CHI) at (510) 339-3379 or go to http://www.CHInet.org/ayp/ to find out more. References are available.

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.