[BHS Etree] ADMIN - Lockdown Drill Mar. 13 (Tues.)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Mar 13 10:57:12 PDT 2012

Dear BHS Families:

Considering recent events in Ohio, and given the unfortunate realities
surrounding the pervasiveness and widespread availability of firearms
within our community and our country, the administrative team at Berkeley
High School will, as part of its ongoing work on safety and emergency
preparedness, conduct a lockdown/shelter in place drill today at 2:00 PM.

On Tuesday, March 13 at 2:00 PM I will make a public address announcement
initiating campus lockdown procedures and note that it is a drill. We will
not inform students in advance.

Obviously we will repeatedly note that it is a drill but we will maintain a
very serious tone throughout the protocol.

We would like you to review and reinforce the following piece of our
protocol with your students this evening. It is a simple but crucial
element that all students should have in the event of an emergency that
warrants a lockdown. We are having teachers reinforce this with students
during the drill this afternoon in each classroom.

One of the most important things to remember during a lockdown is that if
you are in the hallways or not in class when a lockdown is called, your job
is to safely get into the nearest secure space whether that is a classroom
other than your own, an office, or any other space being secured by an
adult.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GET TO YOUR OWN CLASS IF YOU ARE OUT OF CLASS DURING A
LOCKDOWN. GET TO THE NEAREST CLASSROOM.

IF A LOCKDOWN IS CALLED DURING PASSING PERIOD DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GET TO YOUR
NEXT CLASS, BUT GET TO THE NEAREST CLASSROOM.

I realize that the mere thought of a scenario like this occurring on our
campus is more than just a little unsettling, but building our capacity and
our ability to respond to an emergency situation like this is essential.
Small investments of time like this could make a huge difference in
outcomes if we ever had to actually deal with the scenarios that too many
schools across the country have already experienced.

Respectfully,

Pasquale Scuderi
Principal Berkeley High School