[BHS Etree] VOLUNTEERS - Ushers needed for Judy Grahn Reading, Feb. 21

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Jan 19 15:58:33 PST 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net

We are very lucky to have Judy Grahn  scheduled to come to Berkeley High on
Tuesday, Feb. 21, in the library during Periods 2 and 3. She is a famous
lesbian poet, playwright, publisher, artist, teacher, activist and women's
historian and philosopher.

We are looking for four ushers for each session (8:45 to 10:30 and 10:30 to
11:45) Ushers will set up chairs and put chairs away; they will usher
students to seats; and enjoy the event. Volunteers won't have to "police"
students.  It's a relatively small event (120 students or so, each period).
I would like volunteers to arrive at 8:45 or so. If you can help, please let
Janet Huseby know at jhuseby at pacbell.net.

Mr. Miller, who has organized the reading,  writes, "Ms Grahn has has
published numerous books including A Woman is Talking to Death, The Work of
a Common Woman, and of course, The Judy Grahn Reader.  She has written and
performed plays, and now publishes Metaphormia: A Journal of Menstruation
and Culture. She is also co-director of the Women's Spirituality Master's
Program at the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology in Palo Alto."

"I will suggest to her that she read her fictive essay on gender, 'Boys at
the Rodeo,' during period 2 and that she read her poem 'A Woman is Talking
to Death' or her 'Common Woman Poems,' during Period 3.  I am thinking of
Period 2 being focused more on gender issues while Period 3 would be more
literary.  Of course, all of it is literary, but you know what I mean.
There is a possibility that some of the poems will have musical
accompaniment."

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To