[BHS Etree] STUDENT ACTIVITIES-Fourth Call for Holiday Meal Donations

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Dec 5 07:46:10 PST 2011

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Chris Young  chrisyoung at berkeley.net

Dear Parents and BHS Community Members,

First off – a big thanks to those donors who have already contributed.  Your generosity is helping us on our way to make a bigger and better Holiday Meal than ever to meet the increased need of the less fortunate in our community.

For example, according to a "60 Minutes" report last week, child homelessness in the US is at the highest levels since 1962.  In fact, last week two donated jackets were given to two BHS students who recently became homeless with their families.

The annual Holiday Meal will take place on Saturday, December 10.  This special event features over 100 BHS students serving a warming meal, offering clothing, books, shoes, toys, blankets and providing entertainment for some 300-500 homeless or low-income people and families in the Berkeley community.

We are seeking fresh food or monetary donations to help us put on this special event.

What we are most in need at this point is pre-cooked hams or turkeys, potato or yam-based dishes, and canned/packaged foods such as tuna, soups or pastas.  Canned foods can be sent to school with students.  Bins are located just inside the main doors at Milvia and Allston, in the C-building art gallery and the G-H buildings breezeway.  Help us meet our goal of one pound per student or 3400 pounds of food!  We are currently at about 2500 pounds.

Monetary donations are also a huge help to buy basics such as butter, sugar, flour, foil and other food to round out our meal.  They will also help us cover decorations and entertainment to make this not only a belly filling but heartwarming experience for those that attend.

Fresh food donations can be delivered between 4:30pm-7pm on Friday, December 9 or 8am-12pm of Saturday, December 10 to the main doors of the school at Milvia and Allston.  Please indicate what time you would like deliver your donation.

Monetary donations are accepted as cash in the Leadership Office (make sure it gets to Mr. Young) or as checks written to "BHS Student Activities" with "Holiday Meal" in the memo line.  These donations are tax deductible and a letter of receipt with the school tax ID number will be given upon request.  They can be mailed to:

Berkeley High School
ATTN: Chris Young
1980 Allston Way
Berkeley, CA  94704