[BHS Etree] STUDENT ACTIVITIES - Student Leadership Statement about Weapons on Campus

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Mar 25 18:55:26 PDT 2011

Do not reply to this email, contact: Raymok Ketema, ASB President,
raymokketema at berkeleyhigh.us

To the Berkeley Community,

On behalf of the Berkeley High Associated Student Body, we feel it's
necessary to address the issue of firearms being brought onto our campus.

First and foremost, the student body does not condone any type of weaponry
or its use on campus. However, we understand the issue is much more complex
than just the weapon itself.  Before any rash changes are made to our school
culture, the community needs to take into account the reason why a student
would feel the need to bring a gun to school.

In order to progress as a school, we need to not only take necessary
security measures, but also continue to explore ways in which we can reach
out to students and make every member of the community feel safer.

Once again, the Associated Student Body does not tolerate any act of
violence, physically and verbally. As we work through this challenge, let's
try our best to be constructive and not destructive in finding solutions for
these difficult issues.

Berkeley High is about the students.  It's important that our voices are
heard and respected, and we want the BHS community to know that students
will also take a leadership role along with school administrators to make
our campus safe for all students.

Sincerely,

Jake Winkelman, Editor-in-Chief of The Berkeley High Jacket

Raymok Ketema, Associated Student Body President

Beebe Sanders, Commissioner of Community Relations

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Pat Anderson are the parent-volunteer
<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To