[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, 9/22/10 (Wednesday)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Sep 21 18:07:53 PDT 2010

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL. All information is collected and
prepared for the bulletin by Belinda McDaniel at the BHS front desk.
Students hear these announcements read over the speaker system on a daily
basis. No additional information or details are available from the Etree.

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
September 22, 2010

*New or updated information

ADMINISTRATION

*1. Attention Jacket Staff: if you are currently on the Jacket and need help
with your assignment, please come to C400 after school Monday through
Thursday for drop-in help.  Also, come by THIS WEEK to get enrolled, if the
Jacket is not on your schedule.

2. BART tickets have arrived, you can pick them up during lunch time only.
If you didn't pre-order tickets, the next time you can pre-order will be
September 28th and 29th.

3. Spirit Week is the last week of October, and it will come faster than you
think!! So we need T-shirts designs now! And yes it's a contest. The winner
gets the t-shirt free and a spirit pack. Tickets to a dance of your choice
or a VISA gift card!!! Submit your t-shirt designs to the leadership office
by October 1st. Your design should be for the front and the back of the
shirt!

4. Annual BHS Jazz T-Shirt Contest: Become a famous graphic artist and be
the envy of all your friends. Create the artwork and design for 2010-11 BHS
Jazz T-Shirt. Artwork entries are due in the Band Room (A-201) by Wednesday,
October 13. Voting by all BHS Jazz students will take place the following
day. Pick up an entry flyer from Mr. Dailey in the Band Room today. Good
luck!!

CLUBS

1. Want to start a club?  Or do you need to re-register your club from last
year? Answer: yes you do. Get club registration forms in the leadership
office to start your club today.

2. Would you like to gain leadership skills, build a stronger college
resume, and give back to your community? Then join Berkeley's first ever
Interact Club, sponsored by Rotary International. Come to our kick-off
meeting, Friday, September 24th at 4:00pm in the Community Room of the
Berkeley Public Library. We will be giving an over-view of club activities,
info about college mentorships, and travel opportunities. There will be
snacks!

*3. Do you like needles?  Do you like knotting or unraveling things?
Harness your creativity and join the Knitting Club.  Needles, yarn and
socializing available in abundance!  We meet every Friday in the library
during the lunch.  Bring your food and join us. Beginners welcome!

*4. Do you care about climate change?  Do you want to learn about the
initiative process?  Do you want to make a difference in our community?
Then come to G207 today at lunch and meet with students against Texas Dirty
Energy Initiative!!

*5. Are you getting your ZZZs?  We can help improve sleep and mood in teens.
We use specialized counseling sessions that aim to help teens feel less
depressed and help with trouble sleeping and trouble staying awake during
the day.  Tolman Hall, UC Berkeley Campus, call Kerrie Hein at 643-3797.

*6. The Black Student Union (BSU) will be meeting Tuesdays at lunch and will
be selecting officers, so please come out and support!  Meeting in H214.

*7. Do you want learn about Kiva.org and micro loans? Do you want to help
end world poverty? Join the Kiva Club!  Come to meetings Wednesday at lunch
in C232.

*8. Do you care about climate change?  Do you want to learn about the
initiative process?  Do you want to make a difference in our community?
Then come to G207 at lunch on Wednesday, September 22, for the first meeting
of Students Against Texas Dirty Energy Initiative.

*9. If you’ve picked up an application from C334 to be a tutor or mentor at
Willard, please turn in your application to C334  by this Friday. If  you
want to join, you can still pick  up an application.  Come do it!  It’ll  be
fun and rewarding.

SENIORS

1. SAT Prep Class on Mondays and Wednesdays - Starting Monday, September 20
in Room D219 from 3:30-5:30 pm.

2. Incentive Awards Program - Seniors, find out about this excellent
scholarship / mentorship / leadership development program for students
applying to UC Berkeley.  You are eligible to apply if you are UC eligible,
have a minimum unweighted 3.5 GPA from your UC approved classes taken in
10th and 11th grades, come from a low income family, and are a US citizen,
permanent resident or eligible non-citizen.  Informational meeting,
Wednesday, September 22, at lunch in the College/Career Center.

3. This week will be the last chance you have to join Chicano/Latino
graduation.  Please don't procrastinate and sign up by Thursday, September
23.  The committee sign-up will be available in front of the Leadership
office.  Please stay posted on the information regarding the first official
meeting.

*4. COLLEGE VISITS (Seniors only)
Seniors, sign up in advance in the College/Career Center and pick up a
permission slip. The complete September list, updated weekly, is available
at http://bhs.berkeley.net/index.php?page=finding-a-college, or the Moodle
site is updated daily.

Wednesday, September 22
8:27 Wellesley College (MA)
9:40 Vassar College (NY)
10:40 Macalester College (MA)
12:24 Washington University St. Louis (Mo)
1:28 Linfield College (OR)
2:32 Brandeis University (MA)

Thursday, September 23
8:27  Reed College (OR)
12:24 Case Western University (OH)
1:28	Wesleyan University (CT)

Friday, September 24
8:27  McGill University (CAN)
1:28  Middlebury College (VT)

SPORTS

1. Looking for athletes to join Women's Crew! See Coach Simon O'Neill in
G305 for information.

2. Mandatory sign-ups for Boys basketball: Freshman, Junior Varsity, and
Varsity.  Come dressed to workout.  Field bleachers at 4:30 pm, Wednesday,
September 22nd.  Tryouts for all three levels will be November 8-10.

3. All Student athletes interested in participating in the men's soccer
program, should meet at 4:00 pm on the Derby field, this Thursday, September
23rd.

ALL STUDENTS

1. The Police and Life Academy for Youth (PLAY) provides an introduction to
and in-depth look at local criminal justice and law enforcement practices.
Starting September 27, we will spend 11 weeks covering topics that range
from knowing your rights and practicing them to emergency preparedness and
career opportunities.  There are only 15 spaces available this semester, so
sign up today with Mr Skeels or contact Fele Uperesa with the Berkeley
Boosters at 845-7193 to secure your spot.

EVENTS/PERFORMANCES

1. Youth Speaks, under 21 open mic: Friday, September 24th at 826 Valencia,
San Francisco @19th St.  List opens at 6pm, show starts at 7pm.

JOBS/INTERNSHIPS

1. Looking for a job? Berkeley Public Library is hiring five (5) students to
work at the Central library and branches. These jobs involve assisting Teen
Services librarians in a variety of tasks. Contact 510-981-6147 for more
information. Salary: $10/hour. Email [mailto:bplteens at ciberkeley.ca.us]