[BHS Etree] VOLUNTEERS: STAR Test Help Needed

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Apr 19 19:46:05 PDT 2010

Do not reply to this email, contact Molly Offerman
[mailto:mofferman at berkeley.k12.ca.us] or Janet Huseby at
[mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

Counselor Molly Offerman is deep in the middle of preparing for the STAR
test--the Standardized California exam mandated for all 9th-11th grade
students by No Child Left Behind. (see below for more on the exam). She
needs help this week all-day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with the sorting
and labeling. We place the three or four appropriate tests (English,
History, Math, etc) into each student's folder.  This task, under the
leadership of Carol Olson (who should be there from 8:30 to 3), calls for
power (man and woman!).  Please come help for whatever amount of time you
can spare. The sorting will take place in the Dance Studio located in the
old gym on Milvia. The studio is in the southern most room on the second
story (use the girl's entrance).  There is no need to go through the front
desk, unless you need directions.  You will be warmly appreciated!

All About the STAR TEST

The test will be given the week of April 27-30th. All 9th, 10th, and 11th
grade students will report to their 2nd period classes at 8:30 a.m.  The
test will be in the morning. There will be regular classes in the afternoon.
Seniors have the mornings off and will report to regular class after lunch.
The STAR test is mandated under No Child Left Behind. The information
garnered from the test is used not only internally at Berkeley High to
assess each student's progress but to assess our curriculum and teaching.
In addition,
the numbers generated are used to create the API, which is a useful, and
much used method of comparing and rating California high schools. We have
not been able to generate an API for many years because we have had fewer
than 95 percent of our students take the exam--though attendance is going up
and we hope to make the numbers this year.

During the testing days next week Tuesday-Friday, Vice Principal Vernon
Walton and Counselor Molly Offerman need three or four parents in the early
morning (from 8 to 9) to pass out the tests, deliver extra test sheets--all
the extra jobs. If you can help, please let Janet Huseby know at
jhuseby at pacbell.net